store bought heated base question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chicksrule1, Jan 13, 2010.

1. chicksrule1

chicksrule1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2009
    I just bought one of those metal heated bases for my waterer. When i read the instructions, it says you cannot plug it in to an extention cord. I do not have electricity to my coop. Has anyone else used an outdoor extension cord with these?

2. rdranch

rdranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Strasburg,CO
    If you can keep the cord lenght at 100 feet or less, use a heavy duty extension cord and plug it into a GFCI outlet you should be fine. [​IMG]

3. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I have the 5 qt. heated bowl waterer run off of a 100 ft. extension as well and have had no problems.

4. chicksrule1

Dec 18, 2009
    Thanks! I just don't see why you couldn't use an outdoor extension cord. I have an outdoor electrical outlet in my backyard, its just not right next to the coop. I will give it a try.

5. chicksrule1

Dec 18, 2009
    I have the 5 qt. heated bowl waterer run off of a 100 ft. extension as well and have had no problems.

It also says it must be used in a covered & inclosed area. My coop has a roof, but the sides are hardware cloth. Do you put up some kind of barrier against the rain to protect it?

6. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    I think it is stated for their legal protection. I use a light bulb inside a metal tin can [​IMG] with an ext cord

7. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 3 heated bases, all run off of 3 50' H.D. extension cords (on one circuit [​IMG] )
    4 years like this and so far, so good. Feel the cords to see if they get warm (they should not) and don't run any longer cord than needed.
    Heavy Duty cords are much more expensive, but is much cheaper than a fire.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by