Store-bought organic eggs...fertile?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kickinchicken, Nov 29, 2010.

1. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Hey all! I am attaching a pic of some eggs I prepared for breakfast yesterday. I was looking at them and wondered if the highly over-priced organic free-range eggs I buy (because my hens are a bunch of bantam slackers!) are possibly fertilized. Here you go!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

No. Look for the bullseye on the egg - lite white circle around the dot.

3. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    It's doubtful that they are fertile.

What makes you think they are highly over-priced?

4. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

friend of mine told me that she has heard of folks incubating and hatching them but I have no idea from any personal experience.. wouldnt hurt to try i suppose

5. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    The easiest way to find out if store bought eggs are fertile is to read the package. *Free range organic* tells you what they ate. *Fertile* tells you about their friends. [​IMG]

6. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:Does any producer use "Fertile" as a marketing point? I would think that specific labeling would be scaring away the average consumer more than it would be enticing them.

7. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    Quote:Does any producer use "Fertile" as a marketing point? I would think that specific labeling would be scaring away the average consumer more than it would be enticing them.

Yes. Trader Joe's sells Fertile eggs. That's how all those "hatching grocery store eggs" threads got going. Some people think it makes the nutrition content better. I have no idea if it's true or a crock, but if they'll buy it, someone will sell it.

eta - Here's the pic from GardeNerd's thread...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  8. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Find the Trader Joes thread and read it. I believe there are eggs out there that can be fertile but are not marketed as such. A local free range egg farm here that sells to the Co-op markets has roos running with the hens. Lots of hens...which might mean that only a certain percentage of the eggs in the carton are actually fertile. I think I read that the girls lay better if there are roos around. But this is on a small farm. Don't know about the bigger 'organic, free range' egg farms.

9. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    No, those don't look fertile. I was recently asked by a friend if the fertile eggs were healthier to eat...[​IMG]...mine are fertile 'cause I like looking a handsome roo and hearing him crow. [​IMG]

10. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    Yep, trader joes has them!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by