1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Store Chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chixine, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Chixine

Chixine Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    So, my business partner and I were really excited about having 2 silkies in our pet supply store.

We have an area that we were going to make into their coop and run, and we thought it would be perfect...

But then I was reading threads in here about it being a bad idea and wrong for us to have indoor chickens. Should we really just scrap this whole idea?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Personally I think all chickens should have access to the outdoors at least sometimes - even if it's just "playtime" an hour or so each day. But that doesn't mean that with windows and proper stimulation a chicken couldn't have a good life indoors. Some people never let their cats outside (and many vets recommend that), but I couldn't imagine my cats locked away inside.
    For indoors, seramas are another breed that you might consider. They are the smallest breed and if handled a lot become very tame/pet-like. Many folks keep them in indoor facilities.

3. abitcrunchy

abitcrunchy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2012
    Yeah, I think the sunshine is there for a reason and I believe that all live entities need it for maintaining good health. All your pets should be taken out every day. I remember visiting a nursing home right after I learned the benefits of real (not manmade) vitamin D and how the body makes it, how plants must have it...just makes sense to me. I realized the assaults on the elderly by cooping them up all day without the sunshine. We all need sunshine, daily if possible. If you look in places on this earth that do not have a lot of it, you'll find alternatives. The castor plant and good quality fish is about the only other options we have. I don't think you'll have good egg production without it either. Nor would your eggs be very nutrient dense. There's a reason its designed that way. ;)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  4. Chixine

Mar 12, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    Would it make any difference that the run we are setting up is in a big store window? They would get sunshine, still have access to shade, and air conditioning too.. we were going to put a chicken wire lined picket fence, fashion a super cute wooden doghouse with nest boxes, and put down a grasslike turf for them to scratch in..

The Seramas sound like a good idea, but one of our employees got two silkies and the one is not getting along with her young rooster, so she asked if we wanted them.. seeing as we sell organic feed etc, we thought it would be a nice store mascot, so to speak.

I don't want them to be unhappy.. ugh

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well the chickens don't care how cute the set-up is...that's all for us humans...lol. However, a store front window would allow lots of sunshine, which is good. Since it's in a pet store, you'd be forced to stay on top of keeping things clean (because limited space will mean lots of poop). I'm not for chickens being kept this way, but it is doable. So now you just have to weigh the pros and cons of taking them/keeping them in this fashion...

6. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    I look at it like this.... if you chickens are getting fed, watered, have shelter, and can move around/scratch, then they'll probably be pretty darn happy. What difference does it make to them if they're inside or outside? And if it doesn't work out, no big deal.

7. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    I say it could work but i'd use sand instead of the fake grass. It'd be alot easier to clean out. And they could actually dig and dustbathe and such.

8. Chixine

Mar 12, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    The fact is, if they don't work out, I can take them home, or my employee said she would take them back if we wanted her to.

I thought we could use that fake grass that they use for dogs to do their business on.. ha. Then it would still look grassy.

One thing is for certain, they will get lots of attention..

The legalization of keeping chickens is new in pittsburgh, and people are really getting excited.. I can't tell you how many people see our feed and say "why do you sell feed, no one can have chickens around here!" then when they hear they can, they are amazed!

One couple already started building a coop after meeting my baby girls last week! I thought having chickens in the store would help educate and let people get familiar with the idea. I really do hope it works out, but if not, they have places to go :)

9. peep peep

peep peep Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2012
    Georgia
    That sounds amazing! Spread the word about how chickens can be amazing and practical pets. [​IMG]

10. Chixine

Mar 12, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    Tryin! We are doing a green fair the 21st of April that is right on a main shopping strip! bringing my older girls, and maybe the babies if the weather is ok. I think seeing chickens right in the middle of a business district will stop a lot of people in their tracks and get people talking! When they hear how easy, and how "pet" like they can be, people might start thinking differently about backyard chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by