Store Eggs - Companies Stating They Are Cage Free/Organic & Chicken Farms - VENTING!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mommy 2 Wee Ones, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    These companies make me hot under the collar with their claims on how their chickens are cage free or only fed organic food. The show Unwrapped this week, had a episode about breakfast. And EB were the eggs in the show, they were saying how they test the eggs to make she how they are low in cholesterol, but they never showed how they treat their hens. How hard would it be just to pasture raise their hens? One company I contacted said it would cost too much, because of outside threats, that they would lose hens to predictors. How many do they lose in that stinky hot warhouse they are trapped in, walking in their own poop, and being shoulder to shoulder with other hens? My hens stopped laying over the winter, and due to health issues, I was not able to buy my eggs from someone selling fresh eggs. So I was forced to purchase "Store Eggs". They were pale, gunky, nasty eggs, and only used them for baking items. My remaining hen has started to lay, and they sweet joy of cracking open one of her eggs and seeing that orange yolk made me so happy.
    There was also a program on cable last week, and it was showing how Perdue Farms purchases chickens from various chicken farms. These poor chickens were in a giant warehouse, walking in their own poop, dead chickens were everywhere. And the woman was says how these chicken farms take these large loans out to build & maintain these warehouses, and companies have all these rule & guidelines, and every year tell these chicken farms they have to update their equipment or their contract will be canceled. The woman who was interviewed, was tossing dead chickens into this compost pile, that was going to be ground up for feed. Because she did the interview, her contract was canceled.

It just makes me sad to see how animals are so carelessly treated to become our food. They should still be treated with respect, and kindness.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Always follow the money to get your answers. He was not lying to you about why he did it. Go price a few acres and figure out how much a pound you would have to charge for pasture raised chickens to pay it off. hat doesn't count facility costs or other overhead. I knew a guy that raised 50,000 turkeys at a time outside. He lost a whole bunch to coyotes on a regular basis. If you raise numbers like that you will have some that just die. It happens to us and we raise them on a much smaller scale. I’ve had two apparently healthy that just died in the past three years from no apparent reason. That’s not counting the two that died during our extreme heat a couple of years back.

Remember those shows are designed to outrage people. That’s how they get viewers so they don’t get cancelled and can charge their advertisers more. Follow the money. They find the most outrageous thing they can and show that. Do you honestly think they would show someone doing it better? Where are the ratings for advertisers in that? They got the exact reaction from you they wanted.

I raise my chickens for meat. They eat grass and chase creepy crawlies. I haven’t purchased eggs or chicken meat for many years and much prefer mine.

I was living in the New Orleans area during Katrina. I evacuated but conditions were horrible for the ones that stayed. I remember one network showing a shot of a dead body outside the convention center. They showed three different angles to try to make you think it was three different people. It was horrible enough that they didn’t have to use trickery to make it seem even worse. I have a healthy mistrust of anything I see “documented” like that.

There is some pretty bad stuff going on out there. There really is. It's widespread enough there are efforts to improve it from the USDA. But for someone to take the absolute worst case they can find and present that as normal is to me dishonest.

3 people like this.
  3. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    The show was called Food.inc. I saw it again yesterday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by