store eggs stink!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by newchickowner, Aug 17, 2008.

1. newchickowner

newchickowner Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Texas
    I haven't been on here since I got back from vacation. but since I lost all my chickens, I had to buy store eggs!!! yuck!! it was heartbreaking! after two years of having fresh eggs from my ladies, I almost forgot where to find the eggs in my local store! [​IMG] I want another flock so bad, but I'm waiting till I can get the neighbors dogs under control. They are new neighbors and they're gonna have to learn the hard way I guess. But I won't put anymore chickens on the buffet line with those vicious dogs running loose everywhere.

2. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

and in addition to that...my dh and I got sick on store eggs last week. I ran out of my 'girls' eggs and was in a bind to make deviled eggs...he and I were the only ones that ate them and we both were sick with nausea and he had vomiting that same night. UGH. So it had to be the eggs.

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Sorry about your birds, I hate people who do not keep their animals ( dog's in this case ) under control. they just don't care about you, your property, or your chickens. I could sure tell you what i would do, but that would offend to many folks in this forum who would rather hug a fury fluffy something instead of a child. I live in the country where i do as i see fit to protect my family and their happiness. I hope you can find a solution.

4. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry about your flock!! [​IMG] I hope you can get some more birds in line to start laying ASAP!

5. newchickowner

newchickowner Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Texas
    Yeah, I'm having a hard time with this now. They do not care about where there dogs go and my friend that lives a few houses away from them said they've seen them outside beating there own dogs. Legally I can't just shoot them for coming onto my property because I no longer have a flock to fear for. But I have many law enforcement friends and I reported them immediately upon returning home. So far their dogs have stayed in their yard, but if they come back I'm trapping it and holding it for the dog catcher to come get. Unfortunately though my friend down the road "took care of" one of their dogs because it was in thier yard and they've already replaced it with another mutt. So these people just DO NOT CARE. I don't really know what to do.

On the other hand though I'm thinking about getting an incubator and joining the hatchers club on here. I just want to wait a while first to try and get a handle on the mutts. Until then it's gonna have to be store bought eggs because the only other neighbor that I convinced to get chickens hens are too young to lay right now. I sure do miss my green and blue eggs.

That reminds me, when I was on vacation I stayed at my parent's house and they have store bought eggs. The first time I saw the white eggs in the fridge after seeing only green, blue and brown eggs for two years straight, I had to do a double take cause I wasn't sure what I saw. Then I realized it was an egg. I joked about it the whole time I was there. It was pretty funny.

6. Chicken_Lover4567

Chicken_Lover4567 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Central Texas
    Gosh, some people just do not deserve to keep pets. If they are going to let their dogs run wild and get loose, and not even think it matters..man. What area of Texas do you live in Newchick? If that happened here, their dogs would ALL have been taken away. The dog catcher is forever circling in this area, and everyone tries desperately to keep their dogs in unless they are on a leash or have a collar and are completly tame.

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Good for you Newchickowner:
    it sounds as though your displeasure with your neighbors mutts has driven you to make some well thought out plans, if most folks had that type of foritude then these people may I say may just get a hint. but chances are they will not. I just wanted to say keep your chin up and your dukes.

Good job
    AL

Next thing, lets get your new rig set up and dog proofed, ASAP.

8. Chickenfiend

Chickenfiend Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2008
    Bellville OH
    Quote:Why do you have to be so rude my dogs run free and visits the neigbor's but they don't have a problem.

9. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Quote:Why do you have to be so rude my dogs run free and visits the neigbor's but they don't have a problem.

I don't think they were being rude. As an animal owner, and a neighbor- you have a responsibility to keep your animals under your control and on your property at all times. When your animals run free, it not only makes you look bad- it makes all animal owners look bad...and that eventually leads to stricter laws regarding what we can and cannot legally own.
    You may not think your neighbors have a problem with your dogs running free to their property- however, if they wanted to visit your dogs, I am sure they could come over to your property and visit with your permission. By letting your dogs run free, you are playing a game of Russian Roulette. Sooner or later, someone is not going to appreciate Fluffy greeting/peeing/sniffing around, and they are liable to retaliate.

10. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008

I don't think they were being rude. As an animal owner, and a neighbor- you have a responsibility to keep your animals under your control and on your property at all times. When your animals run free, it not only makes you look bad- it makes all animal owners look bad...and that eventually leads to stricter laws regarding what we can and cannot legally own.
    You may not think your neighbors have a problem with your dogs running free to their property- however, if they wanted to visit your dogs, I am sure they could come over to your property and visit with your permission. By letting your dogs run free, you are playing a game of Russian Roulette. Sooner or later, someone is not going to appreciate Fluffy greeting/peeing/sniffing around, and they are liable to retaliate.

. It is also your responsibility to keep your animals safe from those who do not think as you that everything your dogs do are ok, if your dogs were to not return home one night, then that is your problem, your fault, you see this is what i meant by ( these people never get it ). have some respect for others for once.

AL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by