Stores getting Rid of ANTIBIOTICS

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Breakofday316, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Breakofday316

Breakofday316 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2016
    So today I went by tractor supply and found out the FDA is trying to regulate and do away with OTC Antibiotics, like most peps on here are suggesting. Thought it was interesting to know about! Time to go more Natural and Research a healthier way to treat your poultry, cattle, sheep, etc. Otherwise it will have to be through a Vet. Just an FYI

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Just a note... Coccidiosis is treated with a coccidiostat, not an antibiotic.

Corid (Amprolium) is the best for treating all nine strains of Cocci that chickens can get, and I believe they are leaving that alone.

MrsB

1 person likes this.
  3. Ozzey Osbourne

Ozzey Osbourne Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2016
    Rockledge Florida
    [​IMG]
    Pls let me know if you have any advice on the pic of my hens stool.

4. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Welcome to BYC!!

That looks like a cecal poop. They can be anything from mustard yellow to black and tar-like consistency.

If you have any questions about a specific chicken, please start another thread, so we can help you!!

Thanks!

MrsB

5. Ozzey Osbourne

Ozzey Osbourne Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2016
    Rockledge Florida
    Well I lost one of the 4 about a week ago. Started out with lose stool then became listless and started falling over. Purchased them all at the same place about a month ago. Just concerned it may be cocci.
    I clean the coop every day , clean pellets and water. They roam when I'm off work.
    Treated them all for worms as recommended with Wazine 17.
    Not sure if I should start Sulmet or Cortid?

6. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Run Corid through their water.

Please create a new thread for help with your chicken.

Thank you!

MrsB

7. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Currently they are removing water souable and feed mixed antibiotics. This is a federal law that becomes effective 1/1/2017. It is to stop people who feed low level doses of these antibiotics to their livestockto improve weight gain. Mainly your larger feedlot and hog operations. Unfortunately it affects everyone though.

8. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

The changes to antibiotic use effectiv eon January 1, 2017 will NOT affect OTC INJECTABLE antibiotcs, just water-soluble and feed-grade antibiotics.

9. michelle65a

michelle65a Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2013
    Chesapeake Beach
    I have been reading about biomin products for poultry houses and the effects of thyme and oregano on gut health. Are there any products for backyard chickens?

10. michelle65a

michelle65a Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2013
    Chesapeake Beach
    I started giving the girls an oregano supplement in their water and they stopped laying for two weeks. I stopped and now they are laying again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by