storey's guide or standard

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by minister man, Oct 1, 2011.

1. minister man

minister man Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    New Brunswick
    I was recently at a poultry show, and was talking to a person who was exhibiting. I was talking to them about how expensive the Standard of perfection is, considering that I only raise 2 breeds ( ss hamburgs, silkies) and don't show them just want them to look good. They suggested to me that I would be better off to purchase this other book from amazon, because it would be just as helpful to me as the standard, if I just want to keep from breeding from disqualifications, and create a "good looking production bird"

Storey's Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds [Paperback]

It would seem this same person lied to me about something else that same day, ( i bought a silkie chick from them that is not a silkie) so Now I am suspicious of thier advice on the other book. Anyone out there have or read the storey's Book is it any good for what I want to use if for?

Thanks

2. tls_ranch

tls_ranch Stares at Chickens

Many of the photos are of poor quality birds from what I've seen:( I wouldn't use it for a reference for show quality birds.

3. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:why buy a standard of perfection if u dont show most standards can be for online and realy all you have do is go on line look at pic of birds that people are showing and winning with
    why didnt u know it wasnt a silkie chick when u got it silkie chicks are morn looking like silkies

4. minister man

Sep 9, 2010
    New Brunswick
    well, the silkie chick, when I bought it was only a couple of days old. As it started to feather out, if has hard feathers through out it. they weren't showing yet when I bought it.

I can't find the standard on line for either a silkie or a Silver spangled hamburg. If you know where to find them I would be greatful. Pictures too, there are alot of crappy birds on the internet as well as good quality birds. If anyone could send a good quality show bird pictures of either breed, I would be greatful for that as well.

Thanks

5. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
  6. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    the story's series, are great for beginning and experienced animal people... THey won't do much for you in telling what's good, or bad in a particular breed...

THe SOP does that for you..

If you're not worried about showing, and just production... Might I ask what it matters what you chickens look like or if they have DQ.

If your running around purchasing chicks from here and there, and hatcheries.. you're going to have 10 DQ's on every bird.. hate to tell ya.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    If you intend to show, PURCHASE A STANDARD, either the ABA Bantam Standard or the APA Standard of Perfection. In term s of the qulity of the material purchased, IT IS NOT THAT EXPENSIVE. These can be compared to text books, not to $6.99 paperback novels.

If you are raising birds, Storey provides excellent information on the care of chickens (and otehr animals), but they are not specific to exhibition, they are more intended towards those keeping birds for eggs and meat.

You cannot tell that a chick has silkie feathering or not until it is about a week or more old. However, other traits show from hatching. That said, selling a chick as a silkie when it is at best a cross is dishonest.

Standards are really not expensive unless you ant the colour edition, and even then, it is reall not expensive considering what you are purchasing. It is really easy to find the silkie standard online. Not sure about hamburgs.

8. minister man

Sep 9, 2010
    New Brunswick
    Ok, First of all I bought the silkie chicks because someone wanted a few from me, that I told them I might have when a hen I had setting hatched and I didn't. They didn't want anything for show birds a a few to "run around with the other birds to use as setters"> I wasn't intending to use them in my own flock. I have a show pair of whites and I have a "mixed color flock" of silkies that I use for setting my own eggs. While they are a mix of colours I still try to keep the typiest of birds, with black skin, 5 toes, proper combs and big crests. Why? because it doesn't cost any more to keep good looking birds than it does bad ones.

As for the hamburgs, they did come from two different sources. One show flock, for looks, and Murray Mcmurray, for eggs. While looks don't lay eggs and looks don't infuluence the taste of the eggs, I have to have selection criteria of some kind, so I want to pick the best looking males out of the best laying females. While they don't need to be perfect, if I don't select them to look like S S hamburgs, my understanding is that soon they won't look like they are. I might want to sell some extra chicks or something, I would call them "production Hamburgs" so as not to take anyone for a ride, but I would still like them to at least resemble hamburgs.

9. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    mm,

The Guide you are talking about tells a little of the history of each breed and gives a picture. Some of the pictures are better than others. Actually, the lady that did the book came to the Crossroads Show in 2006 and photographed the birds she didn't yet have; those pictures are excellent.
    It also gives a photo example of each and every common feather pattern which is nice.
    They sent me a free copy because my Asil are in there: BEST PICTURES IN THE BOOK, by the way.[​IMG]

I know what you are trying to do and why; I understand.
    The APA use to sell Black and White Standards for like $15. They are great and I like the pictures better than in the color Standard. Email them and ask. If out, go to ebay and type in Standard of Perfection: lots of old ones will come up and perhaps a newer B&W.

I have the old 1940 Standard. It is a smaller book, doesn't have all the breeds I raise in it, but IT IS MY FAVORITE. I paid $35 for it on ebay. It does have the Cubalaya in it. I just wrote in what had changed (very very little). I use it all the time.

The Storey book is nice too if you want to see and read a summary about many of the different breeds, but you can get most of that online nowadays.

yf,
    doc

10. minister man

Sep 9, 2010
    New Brunswick
    thanks for the information. I will see if I can find an older copy of the Perfection of the standards. I guess it boils down to the fact that I want to work to conserve the breeds, but I want to make sure that it is actually the breed, I am conserving.

In the mean time, I sure would like it if someone were to send me a picture of " the Perfect" Silkie, and Silver Spangled Hamburg. Or maybe tell me which ones are good that are on line, and which ones are not.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by