Stories of our flock...first time chicken owners

Mya05

Songster
May 10, 2020
Edmond, Oklahoma
We have our original cockerel, Omen, and a rescue, Romeo. Omen enjoys sitting in my daughter's lap, she has hand raised him, and he is the favored cockerel. Romeo pecked at us a few times, but after being 'pecked' back, and paraded in front of the entire flock, he hasn't shown any aggression since. I have seen Romeo sit, and 'call' the pullets/hens over to a 'nesting' site. This is usually next to the fence, or corner, where he can trap and mate them. I feel kinda sorry for him, because the ladies ignore him, and some even go out of their way to avoid the area he is in completely. :gig He likes to ambush the ladies, and will simply grab any of them that walk by him, or happen to be close to him at all. The pullets/hens all give him the side eye now, and tend to give him a wide birth whenever possible. Our other cockerel, Omen, charms the ladies, and asks for permission to mate. :love He puts Romeo in his place, and calls the pullets/hens over when he finds treats. He takes his job very seriously, and keeps one eye on the sky. The only time I saw him be aggressive when mating was with Ruth. She is a rescue pullet that lays 6 days a week, so far. She has avoided both males, and tends to keep to the edge of the flock. She is aggressive with the feed though, and will peck any pullet or hen that doesn't move out of her way, so I don't think she is at the bottom of the pecking order. Romeo has shown no interest at all in the eggs, but Omen will protect them. One day when my daughter was out collecting eggs, Omen gave her a peck on the leg, that startled her enough for her to drop it. It was more of a 'hey, don't do that' then an aggressive move. She uses a basket now, and he doesn't see her holding the eggs. We keep the fake eggs in the nest, because Omen will go check on the nest after she leaves it. I haven't seen Romeo and Omen fighting, and have found no evidence of fighting for a while. If we had to pick one, we would keep Omen, but for now I enjoy seeing their personalities. They are still maturing, and I know both of them could become more aggressive with time. I hope Omen doesn't change too much. He has always showed dominance, and a protective nature, even as a chick. He has also accepted us, and tolerates us with more affection then Romeo; probably because we raised him. The first picture is Omen, second is Romeo, and the third is Ruth.

Attachments

• Omen.jpg
    Omen.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 13
  • Romeo.jpg
    Romeo.jpg
    957.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Ruth.jpg
    Ruth.jpg
    561.5 KB · Views: 11
We originally had 3 chicks to start with. They were supposed to be pullets, but we ended up with Omen. We lost one of the chicks to pasty butt:(, and our other two grew up healthy, and happy. Black Widow was our original pullet that survived, and for several months, it was just her and Omen.
We found a lady that had inherited 11 chickens, and wanted to be rid of them. She had no idea of age or breed, but knew she had 2 males, and the rest were female. The smallest rooster (he had all his tail feathers, so I assume he is over a year) was the dominant male. We had to separate him from the rest of the flock while we quarantined the rest of the rescues. We did this because him and Omen kept trying to fight through the wire mesh. I was pleasantly surprised my the health of the chickens, because we took them from a 5X2 dog pen, that was just compacted dirt:( . There were 11 live chickens in the pen, and one dead chicken:hit. I don't know how long the dead chicken was in there, but it was decomposing.:(:hit
We have a friend who also wanted some chickens, so we gave him the dominant roo, and two of the pullets/hens from the rescued flock. That left us with a total of 10 chickens; 2 of them cockerels. The new flock integrated into our two bird flock quite seamlessly. The pullets/hens chased each other around for a few days until they had their pecking order straight, and the new cockerel (Romeo) seemed content playing second fiddle to Omen. Occasionally, when I let them out in the mornings, Omen would chase Romeo around until he pulled out feathers, then everything was fine for the rest of the day.
Black Widow let the other females know she was in charge, and Omen was HER man! :gig:lau She pulled some feathers, and chased off any females that got too close to Omen. When Omen dared to mate with another pullet/hen, Black Widow stuck her beak in the air, and turned her back on him, determined to ignore him.:rolleyes: She got over it, but still doesn't allow anyone else to roost next to him. What I found interesting, is that one of the females from the rescued flock, El Sol, took a shine to Omen. She follows him around everywhere, keeping her distance from Black Widow, and will even cuddle with Omen in the evenings before they go in to roost. Omen and El Sol will fly up to the top of their run, and El Sol will cuddle him, and bury her head in his neck/chest feathers.:love I really need to get a picture, it is the cutest thing I have ever seen!
The females tend to tolerate Romeo, but will not allow him to mate. Although, one of the times I picked up Romeo and paraded him around, one of our girls verbally protested. She is our leghorn, named Faith. Romeo has always favored her, and has tried to mate her almost exclusively. She does her best to outrun him, or fly up into the trees where he cannot get her. Her verbal protest kinda caught me of guard, because she refuses to allow him to mate.
Nearly all of our girls have submitted to Omen, and allowed him to mate, with the exception of Ruth, and Stormy. Ruth is a loaner, and prefers to keep to the fringes of the flock. She avoids both males :smack, and only asserts herself around food. Stormy is our Silkie :love and both males have left her alone for now.

I tired to get pictures of each chicken I named. I will post on this thread about what goes on in the flock, drama included!:gig

Attachments

• Omen.jpg
    Omen.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • Romeo.jpg
    Romeo.jpg
    957.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Ruth.jpg
    Ruth.jpg
    561.5 KB · Views: 7
  • El Sol.jpg
    El Sol.jpg