Storing chicken coop "footwear"-feed-supplies

diamnd57

In the Brooder
Aug 31, 2017
Hi Guys, I'm am going nuts trying to figure out the best, most convenient way to store my "chicken boots" when I am finished caring for and playing with my chickens. Right now I am walking barefoot off my deck and stepping into damp boots (dewy) because I haven't been able to come up with a good place/way to keep them after I wear them. It's still relatively comfortable out (50's at night- 70's during the day) but that will change to much colder soon. They're gross and I definitely don't want to keep them on the deck and absolutely not in the house. Also I have concerns with storing their feed and other supplies--I can build a shed, but wonder if storing the feed in large metal garbage cans will keep the feed dry and fresh in the shed. How do you store your stuff?

Hi Guys, I'm am going nuts trying to figure out the best, most convenient way to store my "chicken boots" when I am finished caring for and playing with my chickens. Right now I am walking barefoot off my deck and stepping into damp boots (dewy) because I haven't been able to come up with a good place/way to keep them after I wear them. It's still relatively comfortable out (50's at night- 70's during the day) but that will change to much colder soon. They're gross and I definitely don't want to keep them on the deck and absolutely not in the house. Also I have concerns with storing their feed and other supplies--I can build a shed, but wonder if storing the feed in large metal garbage cans will keep the feed dry and fresh in the shed. How do you store your stuff?

Couldn't you store them in one of those 5 gallon plastic buckets that have a lid? That would keep the dampness out, plus keep any dust or bugs out of them. I don't know if you have one of those Firehouse Subs places near you or not, but they sell their empty pickle buckets with lid for cheap. I already bought a bunch of them!

Couldn't you store them in one of those 5 gallon plastic buckets that have a lid? That would keep the dampness out, plus keep any dust or bugs out of them. I don't know if you have one of those Firehouse Subs places near you or not, but they sell their empty pickle buckets with lid for cheap. I already bought a bunch of them!

Actually I was originally thinking that, but I figured I would see what more "seasoned" chicken lovers did too! That is the only part of caring for chickens that makes me nuts, what to do with poopy boots! Thanks for the suggestion!

That's a good question about your chicken poop shoes. My system is not ideal, so I'm interested in hearing what other people do. I keep my poop shoes in the garage next to the steps to the house. There I transfer from "house" shoes (must be slip ons or flip flops) to "poop" shoes, leaving the house shoes in a (hopefully) clean spot, but close enough to the poop shoe spot so I don't fall down trying to switch shoes. :rolleyes:

The problem with this system is that poop and whatnot gets tracked through the garage from the back yard to the steps. It gets tricky keeping a clean path to the house.

As for storing your feed, metal trash cans work great. I can fit 2 50# bags of feed in one can. I keep the feed in its original bag to minimize having to clean the can out.

I wear anything out to the Coop...I wipe my feet in the grass and wear my shoes into the porch..No poop or stink in my House...My little dogs have dirtier feet..
I keep my Feed in my garage although my Cat lives in there too so I have no mouse issues..My garage is converted into to my Bird feed storage/Brooder/Hospital/Cat house..And anything else Chicken or Duck related...

My barn shoes and boots are on a tray, or a small washable rug, inside by the door. After hearing and dumping out a bat from one of my boots, in the open garage, years ago, indoors is the only way to go!
Chicken feed is all in the original bags in metal garbage cans inside my covered run.
By the way, the very best waterproof comfortable barn boots are made by the "Muck Boot' company, available at your farm stores, sometimes on sale. Worth every dime! They live a long time, too. Mary

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom