1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Storing Egg Until I Have A Batch Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kysilkies, Nov 27, 2009.

1. kysilkies

kysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Apparently one of our Silkies is laying an egg every other day, first we were so excited(our first grand-baby eggs) that we put them into the bator as the hen was ignoring them...Now that we see the pattern, what is the best way to store them until we have 6-10 and how long can we store them?!??!....Thank you in advance!!!!!!!

Here are the proud parents:
    [​IMG]

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    You can store them in an egg carton. Big end up as that is where the air cell is. Cool dry place, no refrigeration, tilt the carton acouple times a day to keep the fertile disc from settling to one side of the egg for too long. I place a book under one side and tilt this way a few times a day. I've gathered eggs this way for up to 3 weeks if they are from my own flock and have 99% hatch.

3. kysilkies

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Quote:Thank you, but what would be cool and dry place other than a refrigerator?...Near a window?...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Just a cool room kept in the mid 60s or low 60s. I keep mine in my laundry room. You can use a spare bedroom, basement or closet . Just somewhere that they don't get high heat.

5. kysilkies

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Quote:Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by