storing eggs for incubation

Discussion in 'Quail' started by flg8r, Oct 2, 2013.

1. flg8r

flg8r Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    Sorry if this has been asked a million times but from what I've read 60-70* F is about the ideal....so how do I do that? The fridge is too cold and my counter is too hot (80*). I live in FL, no basement, cellar or other cool place. I'm just storing today's and tomorrow's to give to a friend to hatch on Friday so not storing long term.

Should I put them in a cooler with a baggie of ice that is not touching them so it's just a bit cooler? Is it a big deal one way or another?

2. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I think you will be OK for one or two days, the idea of storing eggs is for those that sell and need to collect as many eggs as possible within 5 to 7 days. But one or two days, I wouldn't worry about it, 80 is kind of high, you could try and set them in front of a Fan to keep them cool. WOW you must be dying in your house? Don't you have A/C or swamp cooler?

You could try the cooler/ice but I would just place them in front of a fan, maybe put a wet towel on the fan to blow cool air on them.

OH and Cold showers for you. LOL.

3. flg8r

flg8r Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    80 is fine with me. It's been in the 90's and is always crazy humid here so with a/c running at 80 (low humidity) it's good. If it gets to 70 I'm cold! I don't have a fan other than ceiling fans. I guess we'll experiment and see.

4. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio

80 works for me to, but husband different story he likes windows opened, fan on IN THE WINTER!! Lots of arguing that time of year.. Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by