Storing eggs for later hatching?

Fishman43

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 10, 2010
Durham
This is a follow up question to my eating fertile eggs thread. How long can fertile eggs be stored in the fridge and still be hatched at a later date?

Lots of people have hatched eggs that were refrigerated. Even bought from the grocery store..do a search for trader joes eggs on the forum.. I have 6 dozen in the bator right now that while they weren't in the fridge, it was below freezing most of last week here so they definitely weren't warm when they were gathered.. I'll know in a week how many are developing..

They will last about 7 days for hatching. I set mine at 5 days no more and no less. Oh, and they will still hatch, but the ideal temperature is around 60* give or take a few.

DID A LIL EXPERIMENT A COUPLE OF YRS AGO.... SET A BATCH OF EGGS I PROCURED THAT WERE REFRIGERATED BEFORE I GOT THEM AND A BATCH OF EGG SHIPPED 1200 OR SO MILES AT THE SAME TIME... HATCH RATES WERE NEARLY IDENTICAL ROUGHLY 55-60% 1 BATCH SHIPPED 1200 MILES THE OTHERS HAND CARRIED BY ME FROM THE SOURCE ABOUT 3 MILES.... BOTH WERE SET IN THE SAME INCUBATOR SIMULATANEOUSLY SO THATS ABOUT AS CLOSE AS YOU CAN GET TO EXACT EQUAL TREATMENT... THE PROBLEM I DID HAVE WAS THAT THE REFRIGERATED CHICKS HAD A MUCH HIGHER POST HATCH MORTAILITY. PERSONALLY I STORE THEM AT ROOM TEMP...
hu.gif

I had some Quail that hatched from Refer'd eggs.

20-30% hatch rate for my experiment.

My chickens didn't turn out so well, then again, they weren't fertile either, so I guess that doesn't count!

Room Temp Fertility Should Be Fine To About 10 Days Then It Starts To Drastically Drop From There... By Day 14 They Are Pretty Much Lost But Still Make Good Sling Shot Ammo
smile.png

Last edited:
So you don't think my eggs that were lightly refrigerated at like 50-55*? (a small refrigerator adjusted just for egg storage) and are into the 2nd -3rd week won't hatch?
Your thinking they are sling shot ammo?

But gee, I have to try. They are eggs from the White sports. I need those genetics.
Ok, I have those genetics in my other white birds. But I am greedy, I want more.

Back
Top Bottom