Storing Eggs in Hot Climate (HELPPPP!)

jordynm

Chirping
Sep 19, 2021
Hey everyone! So I live in Southern Texas and am really struggling on ideas to store fertile hatching eggs, mostly with the temperature of the room. My AC is kept between 73-75 degrees and I live in a manufactured house, so no basement or garage that provides cooler temperatures (between the 50-60 recommended range). The best thing I can think of is keeping them in one of the bathrooms with no windows, but there is a great risk of exposure to bacteria. Or I have a small insulated lunch cooler that I could place some ice packs in, but I’m worried about the eggs getting enough oxygen if they are in a small enclosed space like that.

Please help if you have any ideas or experience with living in a hotter/humid climate!

Also, I will be ordering hatching eggs soon and know that they need to settle for 12-24 hours before placing them in the incubator. Can these be placed at room temp or do they need to be in the same 50-60 degree temp zone?

Hey everyone! So I live in Southern Texas and am really struggling on ideas to store fertile hatching eggs, mostly with the temperature of the room. My AC is kept between 73-75 degrees and I live in a manufactured house, so no basement or garage that provides cooler temperatures (between the 50-60 recommended range). The best thing I can think of is keeping them in one of the bathrooms with no windows, but there is a great risk of exposure to bacteria. Or I have a small insulated lunch cooler that I could place some ice packs in, but I’m worried about the eggs getting enough oxygen if they are in a small enclosed space like that.

Please help if you have any ideas or experience with living in a hotter/humid climate!

Also, I will be ordering hatching eggs soon and know that they need to settle for 12-24 hours before placing them in the incubator. Can these be placed at room temp or do they need to be in the same 50-60 degree temp zone?
It doesnt aound that bad, no it shouldnt be at room temp i dont think. Id just try a decent room to put them in that isnt TO boiling hot, but they incubate in hotter areas anyway.

Here in Hawaii, the humidity and temperature can be quite high. If I’m collecting eggs from my own birds for hatching, I will keep them in a cooler with ice packs and a thermometer and keep the temperature between 50 to 60 if I can. I will bring them up to room temperature before placing them in the incubator. For shipped eggs, I settle them at room temperature before placing them in the incubator. Good luck.😊
Edited for spelling

Last edited:
Here in Hawaii, the humidity and temperature can be quite high. If I’m collecting eggs from my own birds for hatching, I will keep him in a cooler with ice packs and a thermometer and keep the temperature between 50 to 60 if I can. I will bring them up to room temperature before placing them in the incubator. For shipped eggs, I settle them at room temperature before placing them in the incubator. Good luck.😊
That sounds really good! We try to hatch ours in spring because then its at a decent 50 F * summers can go to 90 F * for us which really stinks!

Ugh, South Louisiana here, I feel ya. I don't have fertile eggs of my own, but when my friends have given me fertile eggs to hatch, they do fine on the counter for a couple days. I like it cold in my house, around 68-69 F, so that's pretty great for storing them for me. House goes anywhere from 30-70% humidity year round.

If I were you, I'd do the insulated cooler, just don't let the ice pack cool it *too* much.

Ugh, South Louisiana here, I feel ya. I don't have fertile eggs of my own, but when my friends have given me fertile eggs to hatch, they do fine on the counter for a couple days. I like it cold in my house, around 68-69 F, so that's pretty great for storing them for me. House goes anywhere from 30-70% humidity year round.

If I were you, I'd do the insulated cooler, just don't let the ice pack cool it *too* much.
Its so delicate. It cant be to cool or to hot and has to be the exact middle and even a little off could hurt them.

Honestly, in my experience, I haven't sweated this part too much, but then again I'm just hatching for fun, not for profit. Hens don't stress about keeping their eggs at 50-60 degrees when they're getting a clutch together, but then again an incubator is different than a hen.
Yeah, we use incubators. i think hens have the perfect temperature in their fluff already. I dont think one degree of could hurt a egg, but you have to keep it a good medium or it could have less great results in hatching i think.

Yeah, we use incubators. i think hens have the perfect temperature in their fluff already. I dont think one degree of could hurt a egg, but you have to keep it a good medium or it could have less great results in hatching i think.
I use an incubator as well, I'm just saying that as long as there's not temp extremes I haven't worried about it

Back
Top Bottom