Storing eggs question...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mhaddon, Dec 4, 2012.

1. mhaddon

mhaddon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    I have them in an egg container on the counter marked. We have three marked and in the coop to see if anyone will sit on them. Should I store the egg container in the garage on the work bench so they are cooler? It is getting warm in our house during the day (around 76 degrees).

Also the ones in the coop did not appear to be turned at all this morning. Should I leave them out a few more days and just throw them in the bator in a few days if no one messes with them?

Thanks! This is our first time hatching from our own eggs and the kids are excited :)

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Store hatching eggs in your basement. You could in your garage as long as it isn't too cold in there. 55-65 degrees is recommended, though I have often left them on the counter like you and still had good hatch rates.

3. mhaddon

mhaddon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    Ok thanks, I only have a cellar area. But it is easy to access (storm shelter too). I don't have a full, finished basement.

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

You could still store eggs in an unfinished basement. I don't agree with #4 & 5, but you get the drift.

5. browning6

browning6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Winton, California
    I realize most of this info is old hat to almost all that are posting but to us newbies it is golden information.
    Thanks to all on BYC that make raising chickens fun and something to look forward to.

This article is fantastic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by