1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Storing eggs that have chilled in the next box?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by revdvd, Dec 11, 2013.

1. revdvd

revdvd New Egg

Apr 26, 2013
    My eight hens have been consistently giving us 5-6 eggs a day: enough for us and to give away. I've been collecting them in the morning and evening, then storing them unrefrigerated on the kitchen counter. Now that it's winter and temps have been hovering between 25-45 degrees each day, I'm wondering if I need to store them in the refrigerator. I thought I'd read somewhere that once the eggs have been "chilled", they should be kept chilled rather than stored at room temp. Does sitting in the next box for 2-8 hours count as chilled? I'd prefer to keep storing them at room temp. (We usually eat them before they're a week old).

2. revdvd

revdvd New Egg

Apr 26, 2013
    NEST box. Dang autocorrect.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Good question, I've always tried to keep eggs refrigerated once they have been refrigerated/chilled (or washed). Don't know if the chilling and returning to room temp makes a difference with unwashed eggs since they still have the bloom on them.
    The ESC and various places have statements like below on their websites, so who knows.
    "Maintaining a consistent, cool temperature is critical to safety. After eggs are refrigerated, it is important that they stay that way. A cold egg left out at room temperature can sweat, facilitating the growth of bacteria. Refrigerated eggs should not be left out more than two hours."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by