Storing fall leaves for winter?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Korzak, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Korzak

Korzak Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2014
    Hi all,
    The leaves are starting to fall here in Connecticut, and I have been adding them to the bedding in our coop. It seems like a great addition. Does anyone have tips on how to collect and store leaves in bulk for the winter? Or is a rigid tote better, or a garbage bag that you can squish down, or what? I assume I'm going to have to keep whatever container inside, so we don't get moisture and mold and mildew happening.
    Thanks!!

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I would fill your coop 2 - 3 feet deep, periodically sprinkle scratch on top. And by spring, ah some great mulch!

Mrs K

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
  4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Last fall, I collected about 100 bags of leaves from a house in town. Many of them were packed in contractor bags. They stored nicely in the bags by placing the bags so that the openings were facing down, so water would not enter the bags. Many of them went into the run, into the coop,were stored in the green house, used as banking around the green house, mulch in the orchard, garden, and HK mound. I still have a few bags left to continue work on the HK, and will leave a note at that same house, anticipating picking up the fall bounty again this year.

5. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio

Great idea, never thought of that one. I should ask my my neighbors for their bagged leaves. Here in NE Ohio leaves are not changing colors yet.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  6. MollySunshine

MollySunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2016
    Rhode Island
    That's a great idea! I wish I had though of it[​IMG] The leaves are falling here also, obviously, (a town/state away), and I plan on gathering some up to place in the run. I didn't think of adding some to the coop. Chickies will be so happy!

7. eagrbeavr

eagrbeavr Chillin' With My Peeps

LGardener, i do the same thing! I collected probably 60 bags from in town. The townsfolk did all the raking, bagging and put it all curbside and I just come along with my truck and took them. I coined myself The Leaf Thief. I have a couple in the coop for a base, several in the run, mowed, and the garden's covered with mowed leaves. I have about 20 bags left for next spring. I do find they can get dusty from drying so much so i use dried grass clippings as bedding for the rest of the winter. Works great for me

1 person likes this.
  8. MollySunshine

MollySunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2016
    Rhode Island
    You leaf thief! I will see your face posted on the evening news hehe Incorporating leaves into my coop has really worked out well for me to date. I should ask my neighbors to give me their leaves and in exchange I will give them a carton of eggs.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Was thinking about this yesterday.....funny it came back up today.
    What do you mean by "contractor bags"?
    I'm guessing plastic garbage bags....maybe heavier and larger than household plastic garbage bags?

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Yep, super big, thicker material. Tough bags.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by