1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Storing fertile eggs until I'm ready to incubate

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by grnidone, Dec 6, 2016.

1. grnidone

grnidone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2016
    Russell, Kansas
    1. OK. I think I'm to put the pointy end down in a clean egg container in a place that is less than 60 degrees. Is this correct?

2. I'm assuming these eggs are fertile: I have a rooster with my hens, and I've seen them do it, but I'm wondering if they still "do it" when it is cold. No idea. I can't remember when I last saw them "do it."

3. How do you rotate eggs when they have to always be pointy end down? Do I just pick them up, gently turn them over and place them back with the pointy end down?

4. Can you recommend a DIY incubator from a beer cooler. I've found quite a few on youtube, and they seem very simple: beer cooler, light bulb, humidity/ temperature sensor thing, picture glass, turkey pan to hold the water with a net type thing on top to hold the eggs on their sides. If you want to get fancy, a slider thing for the light bulb to dim it.

What do you recommend?

2. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    When I'm storing eggs for incubation, I put them in a clean egg carton, in a cool room, and prop one end on a kleenex box or stack of books. Whenever I think about it, I turn the carton so that the other end is up.

Not sure it makes too much of a difference, but it doesn't hurt.

On making the incubator, I'll let others explain more - but from what I've read, you want to get a really good thermostat to control the temperature. I've read too many horror stories of eggs getting too hot and losing the hatch. (So I just bought a good incubator, instead. [​IMG] )
    There are some great DIY threads on here, just do a search and the threads should pop up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by