Storing Hatching Eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MoodyChicken, Mar 6, 2009.

1. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    What's the best way to store hatching eggs? I know they should be rotated, but how often? Right now I have them in my laundry room, it's cool in there, and fairly humid. Would a bathroom be better? Should I mist them every so often?

2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Should be kept at around 55 degrees. Turn once a day. Don't need to be misted.

3. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Would it be better to store them outside? The temp has been pretty steady around 55 lately.

4. Chicken Woman

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    You need to be careful that some pest doesnt eat them ! [​IMG]
    I suppose you could keep them in your garage where they would be protected.
    Here in Montana I could just about keep them in my house right now. It is 23 outside.

5. Chicken Woman

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    When you incubate if your bator is not full you can put a few of those travel cosmetic bottles with water in them to help hold your temp steady. Then when you open your bator to candle etc. your temp will come right back up when you close it. Have a good hatch

6. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Oh yeah. That'd suck. They'd be in the garage. I was going to put them in a cooler with a moist sponge to keep the humidity up, and maybe bring them in during the day cause it warms up more during the day. I really need a good hatch this year... I only got 17 chicks out of 70 eggs last year. So I'm going to try to do everything perfectly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by