Storing homemade scratch

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by leeharter, Nov 14, 2011.

1. leeharter

leeharter New Egg

May 23, 2011
    Went to a local farm and harvested 30 lbs of dry corn and cracked it for the girls. How do we store it to keep mold/mildew from ruining the entire box?

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I don't think it would be much different from commercial scratch as far as storage. I keep mine in plastic rubbermaid type containers in the coop under the roosts. The lids act as poop trays.

Oh, and [​IMG]

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    If it's dry it won't much matter how you store it, and if it's too wet, the same thing applies.

I like to use metal trash cans

4. Jake Levi

Jake Levi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2011
    Harrisville, MI
    I use the 35 gal galvanized trash cans, one will hold just about a 100 lbs. As was said, if its not dry nothing will keep it. I store my corn on the cob until it is well dried and then shell it. Thats all corn, Sweet, Indian and Field. Extra Sweet and Indian also goes to the feed can.

5. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I do too. It's about a 20 gal. trash can that is used for their treats and the lid is their poop tray. Thank goodness I'm smart enough to close it tight so the lid doesn't get knocked off and they then have poopy scratch [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by