Storing Serama Eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mylilchix, May 18, 2009.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I got a serama pair about 2 weeks ago. My hen just started laying again. Yeah!! [​IMG] I'd like to set some of her eggs, but my incubator won't be freed up until the beginning of June. How long can I safely store serama eggs without damaging their fertility?

Thanks,
    Sonja

2. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    In my experience, 2 weeks. It is best to wait less than a week.

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    After a week hatch rates will go down. Doesn't mean you can't set 2 week old eggs and get chicks though. If you are storing them that long they actually store best in the fridge. I'd probably start collecting 2 weeks before, put the first week's worth in the fridge, and then leave the 2nd week of eggs out and set them all at the end of that week. Candle frequently to remove any clears before they go bad.

4. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    I would say it is okay to store up to 2 weeks I would keep them in a cool place. Also I have been told that Serama eggs are very hard to hatch and it is best to not mess with them at all once in the bator.

5. mylilchix

Thanks for the advice. I know that they're delicate, so I want to make sure I do just about everything right with them. I don't have a turner in my incubator, should I still try hand turning them?

Thanks,
    Sonja

6. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    It never hurts to try!

7. Ondra's Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Quote:Many serama breeders hand turn because they say they get better hatch rates that way. I use broody hens mostly.

8. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I use broodies too but i have 9 in the bator now with the auto turner. Maybe i should hand turn them? I have never refrigerated eggs i was gonna hatch, I store them in the crawl space in the basement where it is between 60-65 degrees for up to 2 weeks before i set them.

9. mylilchix

So do I put them in the fridge or not? Our basement is probably close to 60 right now.

Thanks,
    Sonja

10. Ondra's Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Quote:I wouldn't recommend the fridge.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by