Storing shipped eggs for 1 day

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tcooper23, Jul 27, 2010.

1. tcooper23

tcooper23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Hi, ive just recieved some eggs in the mail and i need to store them for 1 day until i get my incubator sorted out. I was told that i can keep them in the fridge for that 1 day at 45 degrees. I just put them in now. Is that right or should i just leave them outside for that time?

thanks

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    They should not be in the fridge! They need to be kept at room temp until the time you are ready to put in the bator.

3. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Quote:Yep yep. The purpose of leaving them to rest for a day is to make sure the hatch isn't staggered, as in developing at different stages and hatching at diff times.

If you were collecting the eggs and were trying to store then until you had a certain number to hatch it would be ok to store them in a cool place, but then you would still want to put them out at room temp fpr 12-24 hours.

4. tcooper23

Apr 5, 2010
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Apparently my dad had also kept them in the fridge for the past 5 hours, he being a biologist that has done work on chick embryos i trusted him [​IMG]. I took them out now. Will this 5 hours in the fridge significantly affect the hatching? I will be placing them in the incubator about 16 hours from now. Please tell me they will be ok [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  5. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    [​IMG] They will be fine, I am certain. Like I said many keep them in a cool place until they have enough eggs to hatch then they let them warm up right before they put them in the inncubator.

For example if their hens only lay 3 eggs per day, but they want to hatch 12, they have to collect eggs for 4 days at least. In that case they do store the eggs in a cool enviroment, like your father did, until they have the 12 eggs. then they let them get to room temp before the inncubator (appx 12-24 hours).

6. tcooper23

Apr 5, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG] thanks alot

tommorow incubating will begin and hopefully my first successful one [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by