storing straw for the coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mvwine, Sep 6, 2014.

1. mvwine

mvwine New Egg

Aug 30, 2014
    I've chosen to use straw for my coop instead of shavings because I feel it composts better. I have bought a couple of bales of straw and am keeping them in my garden for future use. With the summer being so hot I haven't had to worry about keeping the bales dry, but we had a nice long rain this morning and now the bales are wet. Do I need to cover them to keep them dry this fall and winter so I can use them in the coop or will it be okay to just leave them out. When I opened one after the rain the inside was nice and dry.

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    They will get moldy! At least raise them off the ground and cover with a tarp. Having used both straw and shaving, for horses, cattle, and chickens, I think shavings wins hands down. Mary

3. mvwine

mvwine New Egg

Aug 30, 2014
    Why do you like the shavings better?

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Shavings are lighter to handle, and as poultry bedding, the birds will scratch and move it around. I will turn it over and add small amounts of fresh occasionally, to make deep bedding. Straw gets heavy and wet/moldy on the bottom; much less manageable, and did I mention HEAVY to clean out. I will use hay or straw or whatever in the nest boxes, and let it mix with the shavings in smaller quantities. Try whatever appeals to you and see how it goes. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by