1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Storing Turkey eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by freechickens1, Mar 24, 2017.

1. freechickens1

freechickens1 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2016
    Hi,
    My bourbon red turkeys have just started laying this year for the first time. I am getting around 2 eggs a day from them. I have three females and 1 male - except one of the females seems to be a slate and not a BBR. Anyhow, I brought 2 eggs in last night to start stocking up to incubate them - I aim to incubate about 12 and maybe a few more after these have been incubating. I understand that you shouldn't store eggs for longer than ten days. However, I only just read that they should be stored below 70F. My eggs have been around that overnight, will they still be fertile?
    Best regards,
    Finn

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY

:welcome

I've had times where my temps during storing raised as high as 74F. I don't have a cool place to store. 2 years ago I did my first hatch with my own eggs, pullets, and the temps varied between 68-74 over the average. Had 100% rate with 20 eggs. I wouldn't want them getting any higher than that though. Above 80 and they can have sporadic development.

3. freechickens1

freechickens1 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2016
    Thanks.

4. hillbillyreefer

hillbillyreefer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2015
    They will be fine.

Best of luck on your hatch!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by