Storing up eggs for my next hatch... *taps fingers impatiently* Advice

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jfulcher, Jun 25, 2011.

1. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    I sure hope this next hatch goes better.... Any tips on how to improve my hatch rate next time around? I have 8 days till I put them in, and I want any and all advice and tips...

2. Memphisjourney2seramas

Memphisjourney2seramas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    calibrate your hygrometer and thermometer. both of mine were off with the last batch and I had some gross, mushy chickens and half drowned in the shell.

3. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Quote:okay huuuge question HOW do you calibrate a digital hygrometer a thermometer???

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

For the hygrometer.. take a bottle cap of table salt (some places insist it should be pure.. no iodine ..i never really saw much of a difference).. and add enough water to make it like wet sand..
    place the bottle cap and the hygrometer inside a plastic zip-loc bag and seal it.. let it sit for 24 hours.. it SHOULD read 75%

for the thermometer all I did was use one I KNOW is accurate and place them side by side.. let them sit for a few hours and check the reading on both.. there is a method you can do with ice/boiling water.. but I never found the need to go that route since i knew for certain I had an accurate one to use as a comparisson

5. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Quote:k I will have to do that.. I have 2 thermometers both reading the same temp right now. I know my hospital thermometer (the third one I randomly throw in) is also reading the same.. So I think the temp is fine.. But I will make sure..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by