Storing Waterfowl Food

AliceCaelum

Chirping
May 11, 2019
I was wondering what is the best way to store waterfowl food for prolonged periods of time so that it will still remain fresh? I was thinking of getting a galvantized tin can to store it in outside, but am worried that it's not heat or cold resistant enough. Or are the tin cans actually good for keeping heat and cold out of the can itself? Or is there a better storage bin for storing food? Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately we don't have a garage or shed to store it inside and wasn't sure if just keeping the food inside the house would have been sufficient enough.

I don't have ducks, but chickens.
I used to keep feed and scratch grains in galvanized pails in the coop, but in my climate, I get hot humid conditions, cool and damp in the spring, and freeze-thaw conditions, winter. Not good for storing grains.

I now keep a small amount of feed and scratch grains in the coop. Each in a large plastic coffee can that holds nearly 4 lbs, enough for my small flock.
I also have small coffee cans, one for shells and another for grit in there.
I keep the bags of feed and scratch grains and other chicken stuff in a spare room near the back door. 20200517_122857_resized_kindlephoto-24121352.jpg .
I have 8 chickens now but have had as few as 3. When I had 3 chickens I bought feed in 25 lb bags, 1 bag at a time. GC

Back
Top Bottom