Storm coming...what to do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by liljunie, Feb 7, 2013.

1. liljunie

liljunie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2013
    We have a blizzard coming, starting tomorrow (Friday 5p-5a) expecting 12-24 inches of snow. Eggs have been on lockdown since Wednesday evening. I have 10 eggs in 2 different incubators, and no generator. I am praying that it doesn't happen, but if we lose power on Friday evening which is possible that will be the end of day 20. I am wondering what my best option would be, drive them to my parents house which is usually a 10-15 minute drive but may be an hour in the snow if driving is possible, put them next to the wood stove in the incubators, or try to open them? A generator isn't possible at this point.

2. birdymama

birdymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    I did body hatching a while back, Incubated them in my top. Human temp is only 1 degree off. This was with coturnix but it has been done with normal chicken eggs before.

I would go that option over opening them.. If you opened them and they did somehow survive that the chicks would still need to be kept warm. An egg is alot easier to keep warm than a baby chick as it does not move.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  3. liljunie

Jan 1, 2013
    Two have small holes this morning and I can hear them chirping!! I can certainly try to keep them in my clothing!!! We have a woodstove so luckily the 2 chicks that hatched a couple of weeks ago will be joining us in the living room!

4. liljunie

Jan 1, 2013
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    My first egg of this batch just hatched! I think he/she will be named Nemo for the Blizzard we are having! I didn't expect this incubator to hatch any until tomorrow, I put them in 12 hours behind my brinsea. The other two were my first eggs to hatch ever and will be 3 weeks tomorrow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by