:( storm ruined all my chicken feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenbuttsowhat, Oct 18, 2011.

1. chickenbuttsowhat

chickenbuttsowhat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    big storm hit us last night i shut up my chickens and turned on the hitting lamps i thought my feed would be ok cuz we had it in a used dish washer that was left here when we moved in i cleaned it up and everything thought be water proof woke up the morning in a good mood went out side to feed me chickens and then there it was WATER everywhere all over the food RUINED mush i just got all the new unopened bag of feed friday and now its all gone [​IMG] $30 down the drain so upset trying not to cry i saved what i could to last the week untill i can buy more :'(

2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

first, they would eat the mush today, won't hurt em,

second, if you have room in your fridge, put as much as you can fit into storage containers and refridgerate it, that should keep it from going bad for a few days. I know kinda gross, but it will get you by for a few days till you can get to the store again.

could add some egg to it, form it into cookies and bake it, or make chicken feed pancakes out of it... LOL. really not kidding.

I know how you feel though. I was stupid and forgot a bag of feed outside... ruined the bag and i threw it out. then someone suggested those things to me... after I had thrown it out...

3. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    Quote:[​IMG] Love your ideas!

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh my! I'd be soooo bummed too! [​IMG].

Just to share, I keep my feed and scratch grains in those aluminum trash cans with lids. They cost around $18 each, but they were worth the initial investment. I keep them in the storage room inside my big hen house. Before, I used to just open the bags and didn't keep the food sealed in another container, but then I noticed I had a MOUSE! ARG! I am NOT feeding mice! ICK!

Also, I used to buy my food from TSC, and I was buying Purina Flock Raiser, which was $16.99 a bag here in Ohio. Not anymore! I went to a farm store and everything is cheaper there. Only $11.00 for Nutrina layer crumbles, and $10.00 for the cracked corn from the mill.

Take care and so sorry you lost your feed! That hurts the wallet!

Sharon

5. chickenbuttsowhat

chickenbuttsowhat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    thanks for the ideas next time i'll be sure to do that to late now cuz my neighbors dogs at all the mushy food lol going to buy some trash cans with lids with locks this weekend been meaning to but my bf fig it would save money buy using the dishwash well i guess we both know lol

6. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Quote:Great suggestions!

7. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    They absolutely would eat "crumble cakes" - mine do all the time. It's possible that even just putting the "mush" in the oven without a binding agent would have gotten it to an "edible" state, but I'm sure cleaning out that dishwasher was a pain!!!

I use paint buckets from Lowe's (Home Depot, etc). I currently get a 50lb bag of crumbles into 2 buckets. I'm guessing that switching to pellets will require more space but worth the $3/bucket - plus, they're small enough to carry around and 100% bug-proof. I was using a large Rubbermaid container but got grain beetles so had to find a new solution.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by