Storm season

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by depeelm, Mar 23, 2015.

1. depeelm

depeelm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2015
    Okay so I got my new baby chicks recently at the end of winter and now that it's spring time and their about 7 weeks old they are outside in their coop. These are my first chickens and were coming up in storm season here I'm Arkansas and I was wondering if there are any certain things I need to make sure and do with them or their coop before a big storm!

2. PirocaKeeper

PirocaKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2014
    Western Massachussetts
    I would bring them inside for the duration of the storm, if you know there is a big storm coming for now until they are bigger. If you are planning to leave them outside, make sure they have shelter and they can be protected from the rain or the wind (which I am assuming is the kind of storm you may be referring to). Eventhought they are 7 weeks, they are still susceptible to cold, wind and wetness. Even as adults I keep an eye on those things. Hope it helps.

3. depeelm

depeelm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2015
    Well they have a coop with a light and heat rock and a door that closes and locks...I just don't know how they will react because it is their first storm...I'm just afraid they will get stressed out...like a puppy lol

4. ccremas

ccremas Just Hatched

Mar 14, 2015
    Colorado
    I just put ours out in the coop for their first night too. And of course it's starting to get windy and cooler and possible rain. They are Easter eggers and about 7 or 8 weeks old as well. I've been worried since it got dark lol. Wondering if they are ok. These are our first chickens so it's all new to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by