Storms and Isa Browns

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by brwneggs, Jun 24, 2010.

1. brwneggs

brwneggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Last night in northern Indiana, we had a very nasty storm that spunned tornadoes south east of here. My Isa Browns would not go into their moble coop, so I had to let them go, fearing the worst after we went into the basement. About a hour or so before it happend, the rooster stopped crowing anfd hens stopped clucking. I had a feeling it was not going to be a bad storm. After we came out, we noticed the roof of the chicken run was over on the garden, but they were all in their coop, still very quiet. This morning I was begenning to think our rooster got hurt, because we did not her him at all. Finally about 7:30, he let out a crow. And thank goodness, all were well.
    Someone told me that chickens were like weather forcasters. That when the humidty and dew point get so high, they react like that. Is that true? Does someone know? [​IMG] Thanks

2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

I have seen our birds acting different when a hurricaine is getting close, I guess they can sense the pressure dropping.

Steve

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Most animals sense severe weather issues long before humans and such do. They also feel them when we do not such as mild earthquakes and etc. We used to see it with horses, dogs, goats, rabbits, chickens and etc when a hurricane moved close. So, they are very attuned to barametric pressure and so forth.

4. brwneggs

brwneggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Steve_of_sandspoultry and Cetawin Thank you for your respones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by