1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Storms In Texas! Put Geese Up???

Discussion in 'Geese' started by echix, Sep 18, 2011.

1. echix

echix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    TEXAS
    We finally have some rain storms coming through, little lighting and some thunder.

My flock of goslings have seen rain only once and they're six months old!!! The only time was a bad storm back in April and it hailed w/ 50mpg gusts!! I panicked and put them up in the coop finally not knowing it was going to be such a bad storm, horrible. They were only about a month old and neither them or parents knew what to do so they just stood there facing the storm with their heads up! AHHHH!!

I didn't have a barn built then and they were living in a goose coop (8x10 storage shed converted w/lots of wire and windows!) and they grew used to that and would not move to the barn I built. They still insist on that coop - 8 geese!

Anyway, I'm wondering now they're 6 months old and all are good size/flying/etc. When we have a thunder storm / lightning/ rain... do I put them up or leave them out? Will they go to the barn or find shelter or do that stand out there thing again with head to the sky in a raging Texas thunderstorm?

I can "MAKE" them go in the barn stall/area but the ganders (2) and 2 geese and 4 were the goslings now 6months old - the ganders get into it immediately!! BAD. Can be in open space and one runs at the other sometimes he gets a hold of his wing and they get into it but otherwise get along in open spaces but when I confine them it's a fight immediately.

At night in the coop there's a divider wall and 2 (goose/gander) go on one side and the rest on the other. It's a weird situation I'll post about in another post on gander psychological issues.

Put up in storm or leave out?? You never can tell how bad a Texas storm is going to be though, comes up small and then blows up on you and BOOM you've got a major problem! Crazy... and exhausting.

2. GracieNut

GracieNut Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    Spotsylvania
    My 3 stay in a pen during most of the day, with a shelter to get out of the rain, and I'll tell you when it starts POURING (thunder and lightening included) they just stand in it. If they are under the shelter for whatever reason, and it starts raining, they will walk out into it and just stand in it. They love it. But, they love getting sprayed with the water hose too. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by