Stormy weather and humidity problem

MustLoveHens

Songster
10 Years
Sep 1, 2010
Albion, Wisconsin
Hey all! I'm wanting to set eggs in my incubator and I'm having trouble with the humidity levels. It is about 89% humidity here and my incubator's humidity is about 63%ish. It is dry -no water in the tray. I have a RetiPro 5000 so to my knowledge there are no vents. It's a cabnet type self contained unit. So, should I set my eggs anyway? With the storms due over the next few days I'm sure the humidity will fluxuate quite a bit. I set the bator up yesterday with water and the humidity went to 70%. I used a towel and soaked up most of the water leaving a little in the try and got it to about 60%. Then took the try out and dried it off and got the humidity down to about 50-55%. Last night before bed I checked it and the humidity was down to 20-30%. So I added just a tablespoon of water and this morning it was 75%. Took out the water and stared dry again. The temp is holding just fine-being about 98-99.
How do those who deal with humid areas incubate? Should I start with a dry hatch and then add a little cup with a slightly damp spounge when the humidity levels drop? Do I just not worry about it at all then at lockdown adjust the humidity accordingly if needed?
I've incubated tons but that was in So. Cal where the weather was dry with little humidity. This is a first for me! Thanks for any input in advance.

I'm not in a humid area - but I would just go for it. Use the egg carton method so the chicks heads are up & the air cell is on top. that way if there is too much water at the end they have the best chance.

Only other way to get the H down is to put something in there that is super dry. Maybe run a towel in the dryer for an hr & then put it in there too. It will suck the water right out of the air.

My last hatch the room humidity ran 60-65%. I did a dry hatch and weighed my eggs daily. Total weight loss was 13.08% and I had a 100% hatch. The benefit is when it's lockdown time- no worries about the humidity with the wells filled.

Back
Top Bottom