Story behind Where the Wild Things Are

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Goose and Fig, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Did anyone catch Maurice Sendak on NPR today? He was talking about the "wild things" and who they represented when he was writing it. I was crying so hard I almost had to pull the car over [​IMG]

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Well you can't say that w/o telling those of that didn't get to see it......... [​IMG]

3. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Quote:lol I know right...

4. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I guess they were inspired by/represent his relatives- namely his mother's family. His parents had worked tirelessly to get her family out of Europe during "that time." (They were Jews) They were able to get the mother's family out safe, but when they went for his father's family it was too late.

5. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

I haven't listened to the interview yet (yay for podcasts!), but I did go see the movie today. It was a beautiful movie and took an honest look at being an intelligent/creative child and how emotionally chaotic it can be to grow up.

It's not really a young child's movie, the characters are all complicated and nothing is really niced over. We all loved it, though. It spoke to us just as the book did in my childhood as well as in my sons'.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  6. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    We went to se it too- very good, a little more sad than I expected. They also had Spike Jonze (sp?) on Fresh Air today. Really good!

7. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    My family didn't care for it at all! My kids couldn't stand it-I felt sick after watching it, my husband was speechless.

$60 in tickets and snacks and not one of my kids liked it. It was depressing and sad and violent.

Definitely NOT for kids. [​IMG] I could think of a million better ways to spend $60!!!

8. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    $60!?!?!
    Movies are just SO expensive...

I like to wait till they come out in the $1 movie..

Cheaper than blockbusters and you get to see it on the big screen [​IMG]

Was it sad like 'Bridge to Terabithia'?
    That movie made me cry. Even when I read the book it made me cry.

9. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I am really looking forward to going and seeing it this weekend!!! I think it looks like a great movie!

10. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    They did an awesome job with the creatures. It is on the sad side, and I wouldn't recommend it for little kids. We all grew up with Sendak's work, and felt the need to see it for sentimental reasons.

Might want to put this one in the same catagory as Watership Down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by