Story behind your chicken's names?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by sumi, Feb 24, 2012.

1. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Do any of you have stories behind your chicken's names?
    Here's some examples from my flock:
    Kismet: We hatched 3 of my oldest and best hen's eggs and almost immediately lost 2 of the chicks. We tried again with 5 of the eggs under a very reluctant broody who eventually, miraculously hatched out a chick. I was so happy about that chick and we wanted to give her a special name.
    Joy: A few weeks later with the above mentioned hen laying and sitting on and off and losing most of the chicks she gradually hatched out we figured the remainder of the eggs must've gone off. They were about 5 weeks old already, but then another chick hatched! After losing so many of the poor things I told DH "if this one makes it I'm calling it Joy" She sadly didn't want to grow and had a fatal stroke aged 5 months, but she lived up to her name and gave us endless Joy.

2. mondotomhead

mondotomhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Sturbridge
    When I ordered my first chicks my DH Dennis insisted on getting a barred rock hen. Her name became "Denise"!

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Askew:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She know longer has her distinctive feather but she kept the name.

4. K-12 Chickens

K-12 Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Grasshopper, because she adores grasshoppers and even follows me around when I try to find some for her!:
    [​IMG]

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Love the stories. Keep them coming. Here's some more of mine.
    The little one in my avatar is called Stinky. When he was a chick I gave him and his brother some milk. He managed to fall in it and he smelled a bit sour for awhile after that.
    I also had a really thick hen called Dopey. When she was little she used to fall asleep all the time. Busy eating, busy walking, she kept dropping off. She nearly died one hot day when she found the water bowl inside the hen house empty and didn't remember there's another bowl outside in the run with water. I found her just in time. Did I mention she was thick?
    One of Joy's brothers was called Squeek. After he hatched out he peeped nonstop until I discovered he had an ant biting his backside. The name stuck.

6. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    I don't have any real intresting stories...my original hens were Apolla (EE), Luna (RSL), and Estella (BSL). We got them from a farmer, and named them after the stars and the moon. Then Estella started crowing (she was a crowing hen, she layed eggs), and she got sent back and esxchanged for a production red, whom we named Stella (we didn't want it to be exactly like the BSL). After a few years, Apolla died :(, and Stella the PR's name....changed. It wasn't a decided change, and I'm not sure where it came from. She turned into Redtaill, although she has a black tail. [​IMG]After a few years we got four white leghorn chicks. This was before we had a good chicken coop, and we were still newbies to chickens then. Three of the four were killed in a racoon attack :(. The remaining one was named Sage. It was just a random name out of the blue (although sage was the only herb to survive in our herb garden :p). Then we got her some buddies, three black sex links. They were named after black things- Onyx, Asha, and well, this one isn't so black- Buckbeak (after the Harry Potter Character). Onyx unfortunatlly passed away in a hawk attack.
    So now we have Luna, Redtail, Asha, Buckbeak, and Sage!

7. ChickenCrazy8

ChickenCrazy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Canada, Ottawa
    My Coop
    Pirate: He only has one eye but that didn't seem to effect him! All the eggs he fertilized hatched [​IMG]

Medio Pollito aka Medly: Medio Pollito means half chick in spanish and the chick I named medio pollito was almost half the size (okay more like 2/3rd the size) of the other chicks.

Fraidy: need I say more....

8. Squawkbox

Squawkbox Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    Current ones:
    Hosebag (LOL), she squats at the slightest movement.
    Grouse-Partridge colored
    Squawkbox- Very vocal
    Big bird- Big buff cochin
    Little bird-mini version of Big bird
    Seagull- Looks and sounds like one
    Rooster doesn't have a name, just Rooster.

Chicks
    Mocha- Partridge chick, colors on her/his head reminds me of a macchiato.
    Scooter- this little chicks is so fast!
    Mint- all white.
    Lemonhead- NO idea...

Others are still unnamed. My chickens/chicks have weird names that are totally obvious and strange.

9. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

I have some that I named girly names just because I like the names, and they seemed to fit:
    Gretchen: Back Australorop
    [​IMG]
    Veronica: silkie
    [​IMG]
    Esther; RIR:
    [​IMG]
    Pearl; White Rock, so kind of the color of a Pearl. She always gets so dirty, though! :
    [​IMG]
    However, this is Blondie. I named her after the huge yellow blond puffs that she had on her cheeks as a chick. Its what separated her from the other EE chicks i had at the time:
    [​IMG]
    This is Butter, a Buff Orpington. She was the color of butter as a baby chick:
    [​IMG]
    Dot, a Barred Rock. I named her Dot, since she has stripes. Just to be different, lol.
    [​IMG]

Margo, a Speckled Sussex, was a very pushy and outgoing chick. I named her after the not so nice neighbor in the movie, "Christmas Vacation".
    [​IMG]

Mandy, another Speckled Sussex. Originally named that because she was such a sweet chick. However, without a roo, she has become quite pushy. I call her "Manly" now.

[​IMG]

Max, another Silkie. I love the name Max for a boy, and my Max was supposed to be a he. I still call her Max though.
    (this is when she was a little younger)
    [​IMG]
    This was my RIR Henna, named after the natural red dye. Lost her last year [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My favorite was my Blue Andalusian, Venus. I named her this because she was just so beautiful. Lost her about a year ago as well. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  10. smac

smac Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2012
    North Alabama
    My hens; Mamie, Annie, Mabel, Berta, Sylvester, and Lenora were all named for my & my husband's grandmothers & great-grandmothers. I have eggs in the incubator & already have more of our grandmother's names chosen: Clara, Lucy, Evelyn, & Rae.
    I know you are asking, "Sylvester is a girl's name?" [​IMG]
    Yes, yes it is.
    We're from the South.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by