story of "Chee-Chee" a chicken with 9 lives!!

hollybird

Songster
11 Years
Jun 12, 2008
lebanon
This black bantam ee was a pet to little girl who had a dog ravage the flock in their yard. The lone survivor was lonely so the family took it to my mothers farm and gave it to her even though she didn't want the hen or ask for her. The girl's parents said that mom could chop her head off when they drove away so naturally the little girl began to cry. My mother then promised to keep the hen so that the girl could go away somewhat consoled. The parents then said the hen was old and would die soon so her obligation would be short.
After the family drove away the hen made herself at home and started to have chicks and lots of them. Over the last 10 years the little hen would go hide in the bushes or barns and then show up later with babies in tow. With the hawks and foxes eating chickens during the day she still made it just fine all those years. She only went into the chicken coop at night part of the time.
This summer the little hen moved to my house/farm. The chicken yard is planted with 20 fruit trees for cover and treats. I have not lost any to hawks yet, even the bantams.
Today she got lucky once again. I was out side when i heard a fuss and walked out back to see a light colored flapping in the back of the orchard. As i got nearer i saw a big red-tailed hawk standing on a small black body. When i shooed the hawk away the little hen jumped up and walked away. I picked her up and examined her and them took her into the barn. She walked strait into the nest box and laid her daily egg!!! Other than a few pokes and missing a handful of feathers she was fine! 10+ years and going strong.

nice story.
wink.png

-Daniel

i called and left a message on their phone. they didn't call back. i don't think they they believed it could be the same chicken. they said that she was old when they gave her to my mom and would "die any day" but that was 10 years ago. the girl is in high school now i believe.

Back
Top Bottom