straddle leg baby

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FLOWERPOT, Apr 20, 2008.

1. FLOWERPOT

FLOWERPOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    how long do I have to keep the tape on this babys legs to straighten them out?
    I hatched the chick 2 days ago, and she was born with the leg problem, I know better than to use newspaper or anything slick. but she popped out of the shell like that!
    is it fixable? how long will it take? She is really mad about the tape!!!!

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Most times 5-7 days is more than enough to effect a correction. In most cases the tape method works.

3. FLOWERPOT

FLOWERPOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Thank you very much, I appreciate the information.
    I have never had a chick with this problem before, but learned about it from reading about it here. Ya'll are so great!!

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I just had one hatch with a leg problem. It just couldn't get the legs under it to stand and flopped around. I secured the leg in place with bandaids and put it in a warm brooder by itself. Every 2 hours I made sure it had water with apple cidar vinegar that I hand fed it by dropper. I sprinkled some crumbles on the floor of the brooder. It did not eat at first and did not want to drink. By day 2 it was drinking well and seem to appreciate my help. It also wiggled and ate the feed crumbles. I took the bandaids off after 2 days. I gave it 1 more day to get its legs under it. It is now just as active as the other chicks and shows no sign of leg problems. It is the only splash orpington to hatch out of my last batch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by