1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Straddle leg or??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by drea1014, Mar 1, 2015.

1. drea1014

drea1014 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2015
    Hi everyone,
    Our little chick is about 10 days old. She has had no problems until this morning. Now she is standing on her "knees" and not really moving. If she does it is really awkward and she falls. She will eat if you help hold her up. We tried doing the rubber band and straw method but now I am wondering if it is really straddle or not. I have attached some pictures. Any help would be great! We have separated her from the other chicks because they were fussing with her too much:([​IMG][/IMG]

2. drea1014

Feb 23, 2015
    [​IMG]

Here is another picture

3. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I think spraddle leg tends to affect younger chicks. I am thinking sadly you have mereks with that one.

I would re post in the disease section for more educated folks to find it.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    This was my first thought, also, but the chick is so young I'm not sure if Merek's would be a concern yet. I'd also advise to post in the diseases section. Other thought is some type of vitamin defeciency.

5. drea1014

Feb 23, 2015
    Thank you! I just reposted in the disease section. We are so new at this.

6. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Even seasoned chicken keepers see new things all the time. It is a learning experience. Sometimes good sometimes not so good.
    I will follow in the disease section.
    Hoping for the best.

7. House of chic

House of chic Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2015
    Did you figure out what was wrong with her? I am having a similar situation where my 5 week old lays down on her side most of the time. I am thinking vitamin D3 deficiency. What did you figure out?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by