1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Straddle legs treatment failing?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bokboksteph, Apr 19, 2012.

1. bokboksteph

bokboksteph New Egg

Apr 19, 2012
    Just today I have put a band-aid around my baby chicks legs to fix its straddle legs. But it seems that it is sometimes just sitting on its bottom instead of using its feet. Is this normal?? Also, my chick is still stumbling and rolling a bit, is this also normal?

2. Tiempo

Tiempo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2008
    Stockbridge, MI
    I'm going through the same thing right now with 3, the band aids just don't seem to be working. I have no idea what happened, they hatched this way, it wasn't a footing issue :(

3. Tiempo

Oct 19, 2008
    Stockbridge, MI
  4. Hazelrah

Hazelrah Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    Oregon
    good luck with your baby. I've had only one experience so far with straddle leg and it took several days for the baby to walk somewhat normal. Even after it started walking it stumbled far more than the others and looked unsteady. Took the band-aid off at the end of one week and now you can't tell which chick had the bandaid. my advice is give it some time. It was a pain placing the band-aid since this was a banty chick it took two people and several bandaids to get one right (poor chickie).

5. Tiempo

Oct 19, 2008
    Stockbridge, MI
    We gave up on band aids and have replaced them with string, it was much easier, I freaked when I clumsily got some fuzz stuck to the band aid and was terrified cutting it off.

Hubby fashioned the string with slipknots,

6. bokboksteph

bokboksteph New Egg

Apr 19, 2012
    Thank you, this was a big help :)

7. Remudamom

Remudamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Watch him carefully. We had a disaster last night when our chick with a bandaid on his legs fell into his waterer and drowned. I checked on him all through the night and he was fine, then this.

It was a baby waterer. I never thought about him falling in. I should have put rocks in it.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  8. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
  9. tabba

tabba New Egg

Aug 20, 2013
    my chicken had strattle legs to she used to be picked on but when she grew up she's 4-5 months old now she can run and walk and pretty much everything she's smaller than the rest of the chickens though and she doesn't perch he just sit but she's doing great![​IMG]

10. rebhof

rebhof Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2015
    New York
    Did you treat the strattle leg? My silky bantam is around 8 weeks old.It seems to walk on its own feet. Never noticed before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by