Stradle leg ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cold Canadian, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Cold Canadian

Cold Canadian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Manitoba Canada
    I was wondering how long does one try to repair /heal a chick that has stradle leg ? I have three cuckoo maran chicks that seem to have this affliction and I've tried the band aid solution and It kinda looks like it might be working with one that seems to be stunted in growth , the other two have a bulge ? right on there ankle and I've tried putting on medication as well as the band aid remedy and it just dosen't seem to help ? I really hate to have to put them down and am hoping that there is still something that I haven't tried that might help . They seem healthy otherwise and are growing , except the one that is stunted , just that one leg juts out and with them gaining weight and all it will get harder with time .Any suggestions ??

2. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I wish I could help you! I've never had a chick with that condition before. Maybe if you try to do a search? The search button is at the top of the page in the blue bar. Try spelling it differently. I've seen it called "spraddle" or "splay".

I hope you can find a solution. It is very sad to have to put a little baby chick down. I've had to do it before. [​IMG]

3. Shannon's Chix

Shannon's Chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    N.E. Florida
    How old are they? I had 3 hatch with spraddle leg so bad they couldn't walk. After 2 days it just corrected itself...hope yours turn out ok.

4. Cold Canadian

Cold Canadian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Manitoba Canada
    They are about three weeks old right now ,one I put down last week and the remaining three are still here .Two of them seem to have gotten it later then the one who looks like it might be getting better .As for the other two I'm almost convinced that there ball socket at the joint of the thigh and lower foot is dislocated ? I'm lost ???

5. IndigoEgg

IndigoEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Just wondering if they hatched late... after 21 days. ??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by