Straight run percentages in general??

nutz4critters

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
NW Alabama
If this is on the wrong forum, please forgive. I didn't know where to put it.
roll.png

Is there a site around anywhere that lists approximate percentages of male vs. female on hatched chicks? I read on the web that studies with normal Pekin ducks revealed that usually about 47 percent were drakes.

In general and as an average, if ordering a group of chicks of a specific breed, if I bought a dozen chicks, how many roos would I expect to get?
idunno.gif

Most of the prices I've seen where sexed chicks are available, it would be cheaper to order a dozen or so straight run than 4 or 5 pullets and 1 roo. Plus if I only had one roo, I guarantee he'd be the first one that bit the dust.

Any ideas based on your experience?

I would agree with seminolewind. When we ordered day olds last year, they were mixed, and we got half female and half male. I also think it depends on what breed of chickens you are ordering, sometimes it's hard to tell which is female and which is male in certain breeds when they are so young.

Quote:
Unless you are like me and ordered straight run Marans and ended up with 7 of the 10 being MALES!! And the three females are meaner than any roo ever wanted to be. Seriously.

Straight Run chicks for me has been:

8 roosters in 10 chicks= 80% male so far for me.
I have 3 more coming. We'll see what that does to the average.

Last edited:
If u ordered 100 chicks the male to female ratio should be 50/50. However ordering small numbers like 10 chicks it can be off from the 50-50. I do think they do push the ratio higher, because lots of people will order just pullets, so more Roos are there needing a home. Well this is just my opinion!
old.gif

It varies. I have had St run orders that were primarily female, some an even mix and I have had more than one order that was all male. So anything can happen. If you want girls pay extra for girls. If they do not sex the breeds you want then you will have to chance it.

I had several orders of chicks from different hatcheries and I had about somewhere of 70 to 80 percent MALES!

Best bet if you want pullets, order pullets only!

That's what I was afraid of. I figured in the long run I'd be better off ordering what I thought I wanted, i.e., if I wanted to end up with 2 trios, order 3 roos and 5 or 6 hens. Hopefully out of that I'd end up not losing the only rooster.
fl.gif

Thanks, guys, for your input and advice!
Later,
Mary

Back
Top Bottom