Straight Run Percentages

Jimtherunner

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 16, 2012
Sorry if I'm not posting in the right place. I ordered 12 straight run FBCM chicks; seems just about impossible to get them any other way. SO, I know that I have a 50/50 chance of pullets/cockerels. I was wondering what others' experience has been in this. I mean, I guess the breeder could tweak the odds since I have no recourse, but I am thinking this is probably a reputable breeder and that won't happen. Do most of you purchase straight run without too much angst? At $10/bird, I don't want these to all go into the freezer.

mnferalkitty

Songster
7 Years
May 17, 2012
Minnesota
I buy st run and usualy get 50/50, I also hatch a lot and get 50/50. Like just now I am able to tell what sex my 11 bantams are and it is 6 pullets 5 cockerels

FireTigeris

Tyger! Tyger! burning bright
10 Years
Nov 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL - Arligton-
Well how many chicks are you buying, twelve I see?

Take a nickle and flip it that many times.

You can repeat this test several times for an average.

Breeders that only sell straight run will not be cheating you, it will be whatever hatches.

I'll do a set for you lets say you need 12 chickens... (RANDOM.ORG)

a) H, H, H, T, H. H, H, H, H, T, T, H = H9/T3 or 1:3

b) T, T, H, T, H, T, H, T, T, H, H, H = H6/T6 or 1:1 (perfect ! )

c) H, H, H, H, H, H, T, H, H, T, T, T = H8/T4 or 2:1

d) H, T, T, H, H, T, H, T, T, T, H, T = H5/T7 or. ... um... 5:7

e) ... and so on... (I flipped again and got a another 1:1 )

Jimtherunner

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 16, 2012
Thank you. I have seen posts (well, one post) whereby someone ordered 7 birds and got all seven cockerel, and it made me wonder how many other people experienced such unlikely scenarios. Thanks again.

KFaye

Songster
8 Years
Mar 19, 2011
I have had all different results. My first was heavily weighted roos but the last was 5 of 13 roos. Not bad. However, neighbor just dropped 13 chicks on me. ( yet another school project) lets see what happens....

AlpineSpringsRanch

Songster
9 Years
Mar 20, 2011
True stroke of luck (or unluck) as the case may be. I always wonder if hatcheries REALLY give you straight run if they also sex the same breed you order. Like if they would pull extra females out to satisfy orders for girls. But I haven't had any trouble. I seem to get really lucky with straight run. 1st batch from local breeder (so i know they were straight run) 3 of each breed...each turned out to be 1 roo and 2 hens. 2 turkeys, both female). On a side note my ***** had a litter a while back...7 males not one female...and I know those were "straight run" :D

A.T. Hagan

Don't Panic
12 Years
Aug 13, 2007
North/Central Florida
The 50/50 ratio is the way the game works, but as FireTigeris notes in small numbers it doesn't always work out that way. To get the true 50/50 you have to do it in large numbers then it begins to even out.

What this means for us small-lot chick buyers is that it can be all over the map. I seldom order straight-run anything, but once in a while it may be the only way to get something I really want. I've had as bad as three out of four males before and once had two out of three girls. If you get 60/40 be satisfied and if you get the real 50/50 be happy.

RonC

Songster
7 Years
Feb 28, 2012
D/FW
Straight run doesn't guarantee any ratio of male/female. It hust means they haven't been sexed. Even buying pullets you only have a 90% chance of getting all females. Of course some breeds can be sexed by color at birth and this makes the job easier.

Last edited:

cmom

Hilltop Farm
13 Years
Nov 18, 2007
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
I do a lot of hatching and my hatches pretty much are 50/50. You may get around 60/40 then the next time you could get 40/60.

Top Bottom