straight run, really? rant...

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by klf73, Jul 23, 2011.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Ok, I always thought straight run was just that, a bunch of chicks hatch and you get what hatches.

I have been suspecting this for some time, but it seems some "peoples" definition of straight run is - whatever is left after I sex them and take out the trios I plan on selling later [​IMG]

I have bought some chicks, 2 batches, straight run. The seller says they don't sell "sexed birds" or "anything other than pairs" as it is unfair to the cockerals......SO WHY DO I HAVE AT LEAST 75% COCKERALS???? AND why are they selling trios?????? yeah, you picked your trios then sold the "leftovers" as "straight run".

people, if you pick birds out and sex them and sell what's left, LETS BE HONEST....THEY AREN'T STRAIGHT RUN!!!!!

sorry, just frustrated because between this and Mareks now on my property I have to kill all these birds as I can't let them leave my property [​IMG]

so either way, these roos have a death sentence and the seller got their money....lose, lose for the roos [​IMG] and for us [​IMG]

2. blitz1027

blitz1027 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Natchitoches
    I had the same thing happen to me at an auction. I bought three separate lots of chicks all saying straight run and out of 15 birds I got like 3 hens. Everything else was a rooster. I found out later that that particular seller sexes them then sells the roosters. I was so mad.

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Yeah, that's why I went to a breeder and not a hatchery [​IMG] .

4. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    Sorry things have not worked out as you'd hoped. I purchased a lot of 25 day old bantams, straight run, from a hatchery ... TWICE. Since they ONLY sold straight run bantam chicks, I know there was no motivation to even TRY to sex them. The first time I got 60%hens/40%roos, the second time I got 25%hens/75%roos, so I know it can happen.

5. Hi! That's dishonest and just plain lousy.
    I think I got accused of this on the phone this week...
    A chick customer bought Silkie chicks (5 that were 5-days-old-ish) and they are 'bout grown now and all males. That was all the Silkie chicks hatched that week. I don't know how to sex chicks, therefore I don't attempt to sex chicks. If someone wants to try to pick girls from a group of youngsters, they are welcome to (visually only, no squeezing or crazy stuff like dangling them by the neck).

So sorry about your Mareks problem. Scarey stuff.
    Good luck!
    Lisa

Quote:

6. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    Just so you know, sometimes you just have rotten luck. This year I've hatched:

17 = 15 roos
    6 = 4 roos
    1 = 1 roo
    4 = 3 roos
    6 = 5 roos
    9 = 7 roos

Total 43 for 35 roos. 79% roos!!!

If they did try to sex them and sold you the leftovers that is just wrong but if I'd sold you chicks this year you'd have just had straight out bad luck.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  7. Hi! That's a lot of boys (next year you'll hatch all girls probably)
    I have bought some chicks, 2 batches, straight run. The seller says they don't sell "sexed birds" or "anything other than pairs" as it is unfair to the cockerals......SO WHY DO I HAVE AT LEAST 75% COCKERALS???? AND why are they selling trios?????? yeah, you picked your trios then sold the "leftovers" as "straight run".

Pairs and trios as chicks? This bit would make me leary. I can see how a knowledgable, but dishonest person could do this and just add a girl-chick to a bunch of boy-chicks and claim they were 'straight-run' and get away with it for a while.
    Cockerel.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa
    Quote:

8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Yeah, I had a high roo ratio hatch here too and I wouldn't have really thought much about it if they weren't selling trios of a breed I am roo heavy : /

9. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    i had posted a thread just like this a month or so ago.

i bought 7 easter egger chicks from TSC (don't get me started on them labeling them as "Ameraucanas"), 1 was a hen. bought 6 black australorps, i think i have 2 hens... [​IMG]

while i don't know that the hatchery our TSC buys them from sexes easter eggers or black australorps (i don't see it as an option on their site), it sure feels like you're getting all their "known males" and added to them, the "not sure if they're males"

otherwise, you can buy sexed pullets of plain jane chicks [​IMG]

10. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    I had a similar problem with rir from tsc and had 67% Roos. I know, straight runs can have bad luck but, as one of my Roos began developing 2 weeks ahead of the others I think the birds were interestingly mixed.

X2 on the mareks! That is awful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by