Straight Run! Roos?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lisabug, Jun 3, 2008.

1. lisabug

lisabug Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2008
    Portersville, PA
    Just venting....

I got 10 straight run chickens in Feb. now we can tell the gender 9 out of 10 are Roosters. It stinks....my husband won't let me save them all (only 2 actually). I was hoping about 50/50 at least.

They are hurting each other and then others (we have younger ones and layers we bought seperately) so I guess all my chicky babies will be dinner:mad:

2. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I would vent also [​IMG] That really does stink that you only got one pullet out of the bunch.

3. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    I'm sorry. [​IMG] Straight run may be cheeper ( [​IMG] ) but we usually wind up paying for it in the end. [​IMG]

4. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Look at it this way..you gave the Roos a longer life than they may have had if you had not gotten them.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sometimes luck isn't on our sides. But, I agree, by ordering straight run, you gave the roosters a chance to live rather than to be euthanized as day olds. Plus, you get to eat them knowing they are not grown up in a commercial farm where often the first and last sun they see is on the way to the butcher.

6. JackieK318

JackieK318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    At least you're not the guilty party caught feather sexing straight run chicks - I had two sets of buyers who wanted a minute to "discuss" with their spouse about chicks over the weekend - both times I came back and caught both sets feather sexing straight run chicks.

Good luck rehoming your roosters - stewpot or other - at least you're honest and took your straight run chicks with pride. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by