Straight-run Sex-links?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 6chicksinatub, Jun 12, 2011.

1. 6chicksinatub

6chicksinatub Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    I've seen more than a few on-line chicken breeders/dealers selling sex-link chickens as straight-run. Okay, I'm very new to this but, isn't one of the bigger points of sex-link chickens that you can tell if they're a boy or girl pretty easily? Then, aren't straight-run chicks a 50/50 shot at getting either sex?
    They don't seem to go together very well. The one thing of that makes sense is the chick seller is just really, really playing it safe.
    Or I could be wrong and need to be educated.
    Thanks.

2. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    Yes, a highlight of the breed is being able to sex chicks as day olds by down color. But also sex links are terrific layers....better than a lot of breeds. Maybe the breeders don't want to end up stuck with ALL the roosters, so they sell them straight run. Basically saying if you want these great hybrid layers you have to take some roosters as well? I assume most people use the roos for the freezer.

3. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Another possibility; is that the chicks are bred from sexlink parents (black star rooster and black star hen, for example), so no longer breed true and the offspring can not be sexed by their colors. Check with the breeder to see what breed the rooster is and what breed the hens is (they should be two totally different pure breeds, not sexlinks).

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    A straight run of sex-links sounds kind of shady. I would suspect that the hatchery/breeder has a lot of roosters to get rid of since nobody tends to want them. So, someone orders a batch of 25 from you, you stick maybe 3 to 5 females in there, and viola you have made 20 roosters someone else's problem.

[​IMG] I always feel bad for the male sex-links

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by