Straight run silkies, 13 weeks old.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ashleymeowkay, Jul 27, 2014.

1. ashleymeowkay

ashleymeowkay In the Brooder

Jan 12, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I got 3 silkie chicks straight run from a local farm about 13 weeks ago, we got one of each color, a white one, black one and a partridge? I think that's what it's called anyway.:idunno
    Maybe a silkie expert can help me out? It's probably obvious to someone who has raised them before but I honestly can't tell, I think the white one may be a rooster because it makes lots of noise, but that's the only thing different besides he's fuzzier. They all have the cute blue ears :clap I didn't even know they were supposed to have blue ears, haha. We keep them in a separate coop from our other hens, they're very docile and friendly. I appreciate any feedback! Thanks guys!! :frow [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Crowing

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Congrats on the cuties!! Silkies are notoriously difficult to sex early and they can surprise you later. I am not an expert but my best guess is the white one is definatly a roo because of the comb and the fact that he has "streamers" feathers on his head and tail that are kind of longer than the others.

The partridge (if that is the right color name) might be a roo, I say this because of the large comb but I don't see streamers so maybe not?

No good comb shot on the black one and no streamers visible, my guess is pullet.

Nice coop too.

Good luck and I will be curious if my guess turn out.

3. ashleymeowkay

Jan 12, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hopefully these pictures will help! I didn't know the head puffs helped identify their sex!

4. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Crowing

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Still hard to tell. Maybe someone else will chime in. You might try adding a front of the face pic to show the comb even better. Some people can tell you by the way they stand their sex, they say the males stand more upright but that doesn't work for me. Good luck.

5. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

I'm thinking the white is the pullet and the other 2 are cockerels. Mine are about 22 weeks and it's still hard to determine gender.

6. ashleymeowkay

Jan 12, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    THEY'RE ALL MALE! [​IMG]

7. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Songster

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    I think they are all roosters too

8. ashtree

ashtree Songster