Straight Run vs Male vs Female

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by 19disbre, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Female

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Male

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Straight Run

7 vote(s)
    77.8%
  1. 19disbre

19disbre Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2015
    I am getting some cornish X chicks and Males get bigger but may need more space because of fighting and they are more expensive, Females are smaller, but don't fight and are cheaper. Or do I get Straight Run? will roosters fight if hey are in a tractor with 2ft per bird and females outside the tractor?

2. TSW99

TSW99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2014
    Tallahassee Fl
    I personally would get straight run.
    Also it would probably would be less stressful for the birds to have a mix of male and female.
    I curantly have three roosters mixed in my flock with no problems
    And 2 feet is way to small! for the run if they are cramped you will likely have fighting and many other problems.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  3. TSW99

Sep 7, 2014
    Tallahassee Fl
  4. 19disbre

Jan 26, 2015
    They will be in Chicken tractors which is why the will be so close 2ft per bird is more than a lot of successful people not trying to sound smart here because I know nothing but the reason you can put them in such a small place is because they have access to fresh ground everyday look at some of the videos on youtube of people raising them in tractors and Why would it be anymore stressful to have all male or all female I assumed it would be the opposite

5. 19disbre

Jan 26, 2015
  6. TSW99

Sep 7, 2014
    Tallahassee Fl
    if you move the chicken tractor every day i suppose it could work but that can be a task doing it everyday even in bad weather that was what i was going to do for my layers but its much easier to have a stationary coop for me anyways.
    just because other people keep chickens in that amount of space doesn't mean its in the chickens best interest. so yes you could put chickens in that amount of room but I think your setting your self up for my problems down the road. this is just my opinion and i believe in giving animals whats best for them even if they are for eating (not saying that you are not).
    you do what you think is best [​IMG]
    would free range be an option for you?

7. 19disbre

Jan 26, 2015
    Free range would not be an option because I don't actually live there I spend about5 or 6 hours a day there in the morning and I'm there all day probably 3 times a week if they would go back into the coop I could let them out while I'm there what would it take to train them to re-coop?

8. TSW99

Sep 7, 2014
    Tallahassee Fl
    chickens go back to the coop when its about time for them to go to bed on their own once they are accustomed to their coop. i don't know of a way to make them just go back to the coop when you want them to and don't think you could train them to do that. if you let them free-range its pretty much an all day thing.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  9. 19disbre

Jan 26, 2015
    Hmm yea I don't think that would work.

10. 19disbre

Jan 26, 2015
    No one else?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by