Straight runs

crazyelk

Songster
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
Kentucky
I ordered an assortment of silkies and asked for straight run from Ideal. They will be here in the a.m. From what I am hearing on the forum, Should I expect 90% to be roos. I sure hope not.

Thanks, Jason

I have always had a pretty much fifty fifty split. I mean, statistics being what they are, that sometimes results in 14 and 11, or whatever. What hatchery are you ordering from?

I got hatchery chicks recently and the order contained more pullets so you'll just have to wait and see. I'll cross my fingers for lots more hens than roos for you
smile.png

Well, last time I got st. run (Atwoods a while back,) I ended up with, get this now, 42 cockerells and 8 pullets. I aint doin that again!

I think you're hearing about breeds that are able to be sexed being straight run - not silkies. When people order a large breed that is available sexed as straight run, the hatchery sends whatever is left over, which is typically cockerels, because everyone else orders pullets. However with silkies and other bantams, since they are NOT sexed AT ALL, you should get pretty much a 50/50 split.

~Chelsea

If you'd let us know how it goes for sure it would be great. I can see the temptation from the hatchery perspective to load a streight run order with roos if they can sex them since pullets are so much in demand. If there IS a hatchery that would do such a thing- and I'm not saying there is, then by golly it would be nice to know before I next spring
wink.png
. Oh and by the way packing peanuts don't count as they are almost by definition extra roosters.

I definately will not know before spring I don't think, and will not have but a few of them left by then anyway. So please do not count on me to tell you. Sorry. I tell you what i end up with in the spring.

From the way it looks I may have 19 roos and 7 gals. I'll never do another straight run again. My friend wanted 6 gals and a single roos before I ordered. Mine are Dominiques. I had expected a better mix, something closer to 50/50.

The hatcheries are SUPPOSE to send them exactly as they hatch(or as they are pulled out of the trays, I guess some hatcheries are better at being fair, I ordered straight run Buckeyes from Meyer and go 6 of 11 pullets so 50/50 or close enough. Then again I had a hen hatch 11 and 9 of those were roos, so no cheating and no where near 50/50.

Back
Top Bottom