Straighten me out here...

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by beakkeeper, Dec 18, 2008.

1. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Ok, so I live in the Twin Cities in MN and want to keep chickens. So far, I have done my research on this page:

http://www.stpaul.gov/index.asp?NID=1638

and I have seen no limit on the number of hens I can have. One of my pals lives in Minneapolis and can only have 6, I believe, but St. Paul and Minneapolis are two different cities (contrary to popular belief [​IMG] ) and I couldn't find any limit on the # of chickens in the St. Paul legislative code above except "no more animals than can be safely kept in that area". I am on a double lot, so I could technically keep up to 10-14 chickens on my property.

Then someone said it could only be four hens, but I like a MINIMUM of six breeds... waddama gonna do?

2. Verboten

Verboten Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Southern Oregon
    Where I live our city and county regulations overlap and you generally have to follow the more restrictive ones (usually city). I do not know how it works in Minnesota.

Maybe call the department in charge of animal control and see what they have to say or if they can give you another number to call. I wouldn't leave my name - but I am a bit paranoid.

Best of luck to you!

3. Verboten

Verboten Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Southern Oregon
  4. beakkeeper

Jul 20, 2008
    So does anyone in the cities have any "hands on" experience? I looked on the Ramsey county website and couldn't find anything?

5. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Quote:Hey Beakeeper! I'm in Minneapolis but used to live in St. Paul. We had chickens growing up, and what we were told was you have to get the "more than three" permit, which is $35/year every January, from Animal Control to have more than three of anything, even budgies - for chickens, you just list 'birds'. To have chickens, we had to get written statements from every neighbor within 150' of the house (which was like, one neighbor because my mom lives on a 3/4 acre lot) that they were ok with having chickens - never had to turn the paperwork in, but we had to have it in case they did an animal audit (which they rarely do but have been doing more lately). We did have a rooster, but went on the 'don't ask/don't tell' philosophy and since nobody complained, all was well.

St. Paul can be twitchy about animal noise. If anyone complains at all about any of your pets, they can cite you for it. If you live in or around Roseville - do not have chickens. The city manager is a JERK and if you don't have every poultry vaccine/test imaginable for every bird every year, they'll take and euth your birds.

We should have a MN meet and greet [​IMG]
    -Spooky

6. beakkeeper

Jul 20, 2008
    Thanks spooky! I am glad that there isn't really a limit as far as YOU can see, because I really want like 14 (but am limited to 6 by parents... [​IMG] )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by