Stranded......in the snow.....coldest night, 14C!Stupid chickens!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jacyjones, Jan 8, 2010.

1. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    I found 2 of my chickens had spent last night out under a tree in the snow!! The coldest night of the year and they were there because they won't step on the snow. You stupid creatures - you walked on it to get up there in the first place!!! [​IMG]
    I tried to herd them down and they run round and round the tree - a big monkey puzzle that is really sharp so I can't catch them!! My girls and I will try together to either catch them or force them over the snow to the stable later. The distance is about 50 yards - no great challenge you would think!! I have given them food and water for now and I just hope they are not too cold. Stupid birds!!

2. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Some of my older girls are having problem with the temps/snow... I have put out a kitty litter box (lined with newspaper and shavings with a bowl of feed in it for them... the silly things with hunker down in the snow otherwise and become hypothermic!
    Perhaps you could coax them inside a similar set up... once inside and eating , it should be simple enough to cover the door blocking their escape and to return them to their coop.

3. jacyjones

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    We rounded everyone down to the stable and they all had some food so I hope the frightened ones will stay down there now and then go next door to the coop this evening. I need to check under the tree after dark and if they are there again I will have to stop everyone free ranging until the snow clears - could be another 2 weeks according to the forecast!!

4. Koolduck

Koolduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Central KY
    Quote:Global warming! I hope Al Gore's pipes freeze! It was 9*F with a wind chill of -3*F with blowing snow here last night! Cooling oatmeal for the girls right now!. They hate the snow as much as their Mum does...they won't come out of the coop!Wish I didn't have to come out of the house...blasted animals!!!!Good luck! Stay warm!

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:Global warming! I hope Al Gore's pipes freeze! It was 9*F with a wind chill of -3*F with blowing snow here last night! Cooling oatmeal for the girls right now!. They hate the snow as much as their Mum does...they won't come out of the coop!Wish I didn't have to come out of the house...blasted animals!!!!Good luck! Stay warm!

No no no! It's not global warming...it's Climate Change now...lol. Yeah...we're a bit north of you...the sun is coming through the haze a bit, and we've made it up to 10F here at almost 10am... I opened their pop door, but they want nothing to do with the cold and snow at the moment. Don't know what it's supposed to "warm up" to today, but maybe they'll come out for a bit a little later...

6. jacyjones

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    It's sort of nice to know that we are all going through the same thing even though we are so many miles apart. I have to go out and take water to the girls in a minute and would much rather stay in the warm. Stew is cooking in the oven, the fire is on and my family are with me so all is good really!!! And the dogs love this!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by