1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Strange 4 week old chick symptom, HELP! (picture)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by linseylew4409, Mar 21, 2012.

1. linseylew4409

linseylew4409 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    Coweta, Oklahoma
    My Rhode Island Red (Ginger) is 4 weeks old today. She's still in her box with 4 other breeds of chickens. I usually let them out to run around once a day (just in the garage, too cold outside), but today Ginger sat down and started kind of ruffling her feathers and scooting forward. This is hard to describe, but she didn't stand up and I thought her leg was broken or something. She just repeated her shaking and almost rolling over and scooting. What is she doing? Does she need help? She later got up and walked around and acted just fine.

FYI - she's been a little constipated lately and we've been giving her warm baths to make her poop, its been working, but now this scooting/fluffing/shaking/whatever it is... is a little strange. This is her acting normal...[​IMG]

2. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    Is she trying to take a dust bath? Sounds like the behavior mine do when they're bathing...

3. linseylew4409

linseylew4409 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    Coweta, Oklahoma
    I'm not sure? I'm new at this and don't know what taking a dust bath looks like. Do they just KNOW that they want to take a dust bath?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by