Strange acting pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by criderchick, Aug 16, 2014.

1. criderchick

criderchick Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2014
    North Carolina
    My pullet is still several weeks away from laying. She is hiding in the coop and won't come out with her friends. She is hiding under a board and crawls instead of walking. She will eat. I've given her scrambled eggs and applesauce and she's ate some of both. When I get near her she stays in place instead of running as in the past. I have 3 roosters and think one of them have injured her. However, could it be something else. She has been like this since yesterday and is not in her own cage. Help and thanks

2. jgcalifornia

jgcalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    is she drinking water? can she walk okay?

3. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Will she let you palpitate her stomach? She could be egg bound. Or if she's limping or "scooting" only using one leg that you may be right about the injury. But you need to take a closer look.

4. criderchick

May 30, 2014
    North Carolina
    She hasn't ate much since this morning. She's not walking around, just laying. She still has water in her shallow bowl so she doesn't seem to be drinking either. I'm afraid she may be very hurt or sick. Suggestions?

5. jgcalifornia

Sep 18, 2012
    Can you take her to the vet?
    Don't let her get dehydrated. At the least, try to get some water, possibly with some electrolytes in a syringe and give her small amounts of water.
    See if she will eat some baby food.

1 person likes this.
  6. criderchick

May 30, 2014
    North Carolina
    We don't have any vets in the area. The one an hour away doesn't see chickens. I dissolved some baby aspirin in water and feed her a couple of droppers full. She's nibbling on the apple sauce some. I have looked her over well and can't feel anything odd or visible hurt. I think a rooster has hurt her leg or something. Praying she improves.

7. jgcalifornia

Sep 18, 2012
    I'd be careful giving her aspirin if she hasn't had any food in her stomach.

Is she still just laying down? What happens if you pick her up or try to put her on some grass.

8. criderchick

May 30, 2014
    North Carolina
    She ate a small bowl if applesauce and a little yogurt since I gave her water. She just lays down if I put her in the grass. Her foot doesn't look hurt but she seems to keep one foot curled up. She still is making her normal noises so maybe she just wants time away from the flock.

9. criderchick

May 30, 2014
    North Carolina
    I just gave her some more water in a dropper and she put up MUCh more of a fight. When I sat her down in the grass a rooster immediately ran over and mounted her. I pushed him off. At least she's getting some energy back.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  10. kittykitty30

kittykitty30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2014
    Spring Creek, Nevada
    Try adding in a capful of apple cider vinegar (or less depending on the waterer) and see if that helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by